PV plus 7 10po and correct eds files ?

Jeff23spl

Hello
I need to program a that pv but RSlynx and my FTview 8 don't recognize tit.

My RSlynx entreprise seem to be looking for a revision 7
Rslink classic see a revision 8.xxx on the device and mark it with a ''?''
When i check with my part # to get a new EDS, i just found revision9 files...(Rockwell website)

I tried to add the rev9 to rs classic using the add eds tool but no success...i think it look for rev8 like the hmi?

So first, how connected are RSlynx classic and Entreprise? Do both need to get the correct file ? I have the tool to add EDS to the Classic version but i don't know how to add it to Entreprise?
Then i'm i on the right track to search for a REV8 ? Or i would need to upgrade hmi firmware to find i need to update my FT talk soft to rev9 too?

Any tip or help is welcome

RSLinx Classic uses EDS files to identify devices in its browse and on behalf of programs like Studio 5000 Logic Designer.

While it is convenient to have PanelView Plus terminals correctly identified by RSLinx Classic, it is not necessary.

Instead, RSLinx Enterprise is what uploads, downloads, and provides runtime services for PanelView Plus and FactoryTalk View ME Studio and Runtime software.

RSLinx Enterprise does not use EDS files. All the device IDs and support are hard-coded into releases of that software.

So you should focus on being sure that your PanelView terminal hardware and firmware are supported by your installation of FactoryTalk View Studio.

The "PanelView Plus 7" is a hardware product, the successor to the PanelView Plus and the PanelView Plus 6. That hardware comes in both "Performance" and "Standard" versions.

The PanelView Plus 7 hardware doesn't have to run "v7" firmware. In fact, I see v8, v8.1 and v8.2 firmware available for it on the Product Compatibility Center website.

The first thing I would do is figure out exactly what revision of runtime firmware your terminal has loaded. That should be available to you from the configuration menus, under something like "Terminal Settings" and "Terminal Information".

thanks
On the HMI there is many lines of versions:
os 02.43.0.0.
me station 8.0.43.12
ft services plateform 2.71.7.4
rslinx entreprise 5.71.11.16

and my Factory talk soft is 8.00.00 (cpr9 sr7)

and it is a 2711p-T10C21D8S Supose to be a 10.4 PV7 standard???

It is when i try to download my .mer, it say the device isn't compatible. But when i check it online Entreprise show a ''?'' icone with all text details of the specific panel...

And it is availaible on the drop list of the communication setup....The weird thing is that i can choose from 2 hmi with exactly all the same details but none of them works...

Looks like you have the correct software version, what is exactly the error you're getting?

Are you selecting the "Standard" version when you create the project?

OK, we're getting there.

The question mark in the RSLinx Enterprise browse of the network indicates that RSLinx Enterprise doesn't recognize your terminal as a PanelView Plus.

The error message you get when you try to download also confirms that when FactoryTalk View tries to use RSLinx Enterprise to download to the terminal, it doesn't recognize the terminal as something that it can download to.

Your FactoryTalk View Studio 8.00.00 software with its RSLinx Enterprise (unknown revision) probably came out just before the PanelView Plus firmware did.

Since your PV+ terminal is running RSLinx Enterprise 5.71, your FactoryTalk View Studio computer should also be running at least that version. It looks like RSLinx Enterprise is actually up to about version 5.90, which is "CPR 7, Service Release 9".

There is a list of new hardware in each RSLinx Enterprise release that's available from the Knowledgebase:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/65504

I'm not sure exactly how to figure out which version of RSLinx Enterprise you are running on your development PC. RA Tech Support may be able to help you out, there.

ok i will check a little more compatibility from pv7 and ft8....I though they would follow revision numbers on both side so ft8 vs pv7 but.....as i understand you seem to tell me that i would need to upgrade to FT9 ?

Don't look for simple matching revision number or version numbers; that will only lead to confusion. I am not telling you to upgrade to FactoryTalk View Studio v9.

The "PanelView Plus 7" is a hardware platform. Those terminals can run FactoryTalk View ME software runtimes of several different versions. When the terminals were developed, the newest version of FactoryTalk View ME was version 7, but that is more ore less a coincidence.

You happen to have runtime software of version 8.0.43.12 on your terminal.

The PanelView Plus 7 also has an onboard instance of RSLinx Enterprise, to provide runtime data services as well as upload/download services for the terminal. That software version, according to your notes, is version 5.71.11.16.

Now you would think that with runtime software 8.0 and FactoryTalk View Studio software 8.0, you would have a compatible set of products, right ?

But the communication drivers, that RSLinx Enterprise software, have always been one of the weak compatibility issues with the PV+.

And my old explanation of how device identities aren't done in RSLinx Enterprise isn't even valid anymore; they started using EDS files to add Logix controllers to the supported device list in recent versions. Great stuff, and only fourteen years after the product manager assured me that feature was coming soon. A thankless job, that one.

So if I was in Jeff's shoes, I would look into installing an upgrade to RSLinx Enterprise, one that's still compatible with the FactoryTalk View Studio that he already has installed on his development computer.

Thanks Ken, it is exactly what i did. After helping me to confirm soft compatibility issue (or any name we can give to that not a ''user'' issue), i asked my AB supplier and he sent me an hardware patch yesterday and it worked well this morning!

But all that confusion is hard to follow when you work for a small group using more than 1 major plc brand. Not sure if it is just my personal though but it is worst than other brands on this point of the thing....In the same situation with Siemens, when you try to download and the device version doesn't match, it pop up a specific message asking you to either upgrade your soft or downgrade the device firmware to make it works. You juste clic ''yes'' and you are done...