Monitoring downloads and program changes - CLX

JohnCrowe

I have a client who has trouble with "mysterious" program changes. Not sure if it is someone making changes or downloading an older program. Unfortunately some of the "techs" have enough knowledge to do this. They do need to be able to access the programs and management doesn't want them to be unable to make changes. I suspect this happens occasionally in a hurry late at night when they just "need to get it going again".....

Is there a way to detect when a processor was last downloaded to? I can get the "ModificationCount" with the GSV instruction which is somewhat helpful, but don't know how to detect downloads...

Any ideas...?...

Thanks,
John

FactoryTalk AssetCentre is probably the only way to go.

You could put a routine in to trigger a high bit whenever the controller is restarted, then historize it. Capture the modificationcount as you mentioned and put two and two together.

If your controller has firmware 20 or superior, you can use Change Detection:
You can use the controller change detection feature as an additional means of detecting changes made to Logix5000 controllers.
• A unique audit value is generated when a project is downloaded to the controller.
• When a change is detected in the controller, a new audit value is generated.
• ChangesToDetect mask allows you to programmatically configure the events to monitor for changes.
• Controller change detection is integrated into the Logix Designer application.
More info in Logix5000 Controllers Information and Status.

Also give a chance to Logix5000 Controllers Security and FactoryTalk Security - System Configuration Guide.

Can you use a GSV to check the checksum? If the checksum doesn't equal xxx do a SSV and force the controller to program