L71S and Point Safety Outputs

padees

Hi all,
I just got back from looking at a project upgrade in the works that the manager is having his buddy do.

It is using an L71S with Point I/O. All the inputs are standard inputs from proximity switches and such. All the output modules are Point safety outputs directly wired single point to loads such as contactor's, solenoid valves...

Just wondering how the heck you do that and call it safety?, or even make it work?

This is a Roller Coaster upgrade, and this company has never done one before.

Last edited:
I am a safety geek. So keep that in mind. I have been called several time to look at safety jobs where good "old joe relay" has made it safe .
I went on a job a once and they use safety contactors and told the customer it was safe.
Another job the customers head safety person said they where upgrading all the PLCs in the plant to safety. This was after an accident. They where using these new red PLC. They where just Mitsubishi PLC with red power supplies w\standard I/O.
50~75% of my safety conversation with customers are why we can't just use "120 VAC like we always did before"

I feel you pain.

I have seen several roller coasters that where either no safety or safety to the max. Most State ride inspectors never look at the controls.