You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2018, 04:28 PM   #1
geofftheelectrician
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

geofftheelectrician is offline
 
geofftheelectrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: London, ON Canada
Posts: 9
MSG instruction class and attribute

Once again Iíve found myself getting just enough info out of an AB manual to get my device working, but not enough to make me happy. Iíve been using the MSG instruction to access explicit information out of VFDs and other devices not available through the project tree and its associated controller tags. Today I used it to set up an 842E-MIP1B Ethernet encoder so I could set my machine zero point. Iíve noticed that for the different times Iíve utilized this instruction the class seems to point to a specific device type and there are other attributes that are specific to the information written to or read from the device.

Does anyone know of an AB manual that lists the different devices and what class number they would be and the list of attributes for each device and what information you are reading and writing? For example the 842E encoder I was working on was device class 23, but if I go by memory, the 525VFD I read parameters from was a device class 93.

It seems the only information available is specific for a certain application in each device manual. While that is great to get me going on that specific instance, I would also like to see the big picture.

Any help would most certainly be appreciated. Thanks all in advance!
  Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #2
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

daba is offline
 
daba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: uk
Posts: 4,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftheelectrician View Post
Once again Iíve found myself getting just enough info out of an AB manual to get my device working, but not enough to make me happy. Iíve been using the MSG instruction to access explicit information out of VFDs and other devices not available through the project tree and its associated controller tags. Today I used it to set up an 842E-MIP1B Ethernet encoder so I could set my machine zero point. Iíve noticed that for the different times Iíve utilized this instruction the class seems to point to a specific device type and there are other attributes that are specific to the information written to or read from the device.

Does anyone know of an AB manual that lists the different devices and what class number they would be and the list of attributes for each device and what information you are reading and writing? For example the 842E encoder I was working on was device class 23, but if I go by memory, the 525VFD I read parameters from was a device class 93.

It seems the only information available is specific for a certain application in each device manual. While that is great to get me going on that specific instance, I would also like to see the big picture.

Any help would most certainly be appreciated. Thanks all in advance!
It wouldn't be an AB manual.....

Every manufacturer would define their own Class, Instance, and Attributes for the parameters you need to access, and sometimes they would be unique to that manufacturer, but don't be surprised that the same CIA values mean different things to different manufacturers. There is no policing going on, you just have to read the technical data for each device you work with.
__________________
___________________________
ControlLogix & SLC Training
a-b train ltd.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem


  Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #3
geofftheelectrician
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

geofftheelectrician is offline
 
geofftheelectrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: London, ON Canada
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
It wouldn't be an AB manual.....

Every manufacturer would define their own Class, Instance, and Attributes for the parameters you need to access, and sometimes they would be unique to that manufacturer, but don't be surprised that the same CIA values mean different things to different manufacturers. There is no policing going on, you just have to read the technical data for each device you work with.
Good point Daba. I wasnít really thinking about 3rd party devices as my plant is an AB spec for the majority of automation equipment and components. It would make sense that it would be a huge manual and would need to be constantly updated.

At the very least an online reference database for AB components administered by AB would be more manageable.

Thanks for the reply and have a great night.
  Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #4
robertkjonesjr
Member
United States

robertkjonesjr is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 499
The big picture comes from the various specifications that define CIP and EtherNet/IP (and devicenet, controlnet, etc) from odva, (https://www.odva.org/). They are not free, and they are not an easy read, either IMHO, when you do get them.

However, as a reference, they are good to have around. They have all the objects and attributes spelled out in some detail so once you know what your particular device supports from that device manual, you can get more details if you are so inclined.
  Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:13 AM   #5
geofftheelectrician
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

geofftheelectrician is offline
 
geofftheelectrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: London, ON Canada
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjonesjr View Post
The big picture comes from the various specifications that define CIP and EtherNet/IP (and devicenet, controlnet, etc) from odva, (https://www.odva.org/). They are not free, and they are not an easy read, either IMHO, when you do get them.

However, as a reference, they are good to have around. They have all the objects and attributes spelled out in some detail so once you know what your particular device supports from that device manual, you can get more details if you are so inclined.
Thatís awesome! Thanks Robert for your input, not being free might be an issue with our bean counters but we will see.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Read Tags from AB PLC using Netbiter with EtherNet/IP - Class, Instance, Attribute dguedez LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 17 July 2nd, 2015 03:54 AM
Using the MSG Instruction to access drive attributes muzakki LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 5 May 9th, 2014 02:24 PM
CIP message- Class, Instance, Attribute??? mountainbikedude LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 10 December 31st, 2013 09:48 AM
How to active the The Class Instance Attribute Editor in RSNetWorix soda LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 2 October 23rd, 2008 02:45 PM
MLX 1500 DeviceNet Explicit Message - Amending Class, Instance, Attribute 69FIREBIRD LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 3 December 16th, 2007 12:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


.