Automation Direct DirectSoft5

wolverine1981

My question is would converting a project originally from DirectSoft5 to DirectSoft6 loose the labels and rung descriptions.

One of our other locations e-mailed me a project that was originally in DirectSoft5 with DL250-1 processor. I was told that it was sent using DirectSoft6 and all labels and rung descriptions should be there but there is no labels or descriptions.

Thank You For Your Help

If the project was just uploaded from the PLC there would be NO labels or comments. They are only in the original source files. The files used by DirectSoft 5 will open fine using DirectSoft 6. Ask the other location to verify that they see labels and comments in the original project. The should sent all the files which have the original project base name. There are about ten of them.

Last edited:
Bernie is correct. You need all of the original files from the PC project. PLC downloads do not have the documentation attached.

I can't remember the details but we had a situation years ago where we had to go into view>options>ladder and turn on comments every time we opened a project. I'm sure you checked that but wanted to mention it in case that is the issue.

I have a problem emailing DirectSoft projects.

One of the files is an .INF file, but not a Windows installation file, however email servers refuse to transmit them. Even if I Zip the project some servers look inside and see the .INF and refuse to transmit the Zip file.

What I have to do is rename the .INF file to .INFOLD and make sure to tell the recipient to change it back after unzipping it before opening it.

Rung comments are in the .LCD file.

Descriptions are in the .ESD file.

The inf file is just the Project information documentation; Programmer, Company, Title, etc. If you don't care about that part of the documentation, DirectSoft will still load the Project.