New plc 5-40

Larry w

So I just got a new PLC 5-40 AB. I set the dip switches for the plc and the communications. I tried to download the program but I keep getting an error.
Diagnostic status failed STS= ox02. Link layer timed out no reply. Received a NAK. I can see the plc, it sees it is node 2 and it should be but will not let me download. Any ideas would help me out.

Cheers
Larry W

In the RSLinx DF-1 driver check if handshake is BCC or CRC - PLC5's use BCC
Also check the first line to make sure PLC type is set to PLC-CH0

Other than that I would try different baud rates. Also try AutoConfigure.

Another thing - if the DF-1 driver was used to connect to a PLC5 before it will still remember it even if the driver is stopped, maybe it is set to Manual?

The other end of it could it be a used eBay PLC that has a bad comm's port?

I believe the default baud rate was 1200 for the PLC-5 serial port.

But, you said you see it as Node 2. Is that using serial or DH+? I think on serial it appears as "1".

OG

I believe the default baud rate was 1200 for the PLC-5 serial port.

But, you said you see it as Node 2. Is that using serial or DH+? I think on serial it appears as "1".

OG

I have 15 plc.'s on this data hwy and I can see all of them.
Node 2 PLC tells me there is a fault probably because there is no program in it right now, not sure? If I try to download the program that should be in it I loose my communication light. Then when I go to browsing node 2 is red which tells me I can't communicate. If I power it down then back up the node comes back again and I can see, normally all I do is set the node then download the program into the plc. Again normally it overrides the fault but for some reason this one will not do that.
Is there a way I reset the fault if I can't get on the PLC? I have even taken it and tried to go online by itself but still get the same results.

Cheers
Larry w

If DH+ check for good connection on your connectors and if terminated correctly. Also check to see if your baud rate matches the other processors on network. I think its either 57k or 213k.
Also check your Device Manager under windows to make sure that your com port is functioning ok as it relates to the com port setting in rslinx for the dh+ device cable. I think the usb to dh+ interface has a 57k/213k switch on it. Make sure its set correctly. I don't think the PCMK cards are used anymore since laptops don't support the interface. So assuming its the usb to dh+ device. under the RSWhol display delete the 1784 display, to see if pops in your Dh+ network.

Jim

Hi Jim,
I can connect to all of my other plc's through the data hwy. I can see all of the nodes, I just can't download to node 2 which is the plc I am trying to download to. I see in my communications screen plc 2 status Fault. I have no idea how to clear the fault so I can download me program. Do you know how to get rid of the fault?
Cheers
Larry

(1) where did you get the program (the RSP file) that you're trying to download?

(2) are you allowed to post that program here - as an attachment to this thread?

Larry,

I know you said you can see node 2 in RSLinx but is that the node of the program you are trying to download? most programmers will leave node 2 empty on a DH+ network because thats the default address... so if you add a processor or reset one it will be node two and there will be two with the same address if they have one as node 2, so if you are just clicking download the program maybe node X and node X is not on the network so it is timing out

As Ron said can you post the program so someone can look at it

The fault on the PLC is most likely because there is no program. Downloading will clear the fault. You can clear the memory by disconnecting the battery and powering down, but that simply removes any existing program. It would still be faulted. Faulted is normal for a new processor out of the box.

I'm curious what the DH+ status indicator is showing. Does it at any point turn solid green?

If you disconnect the cable it should flash green. If it is solid green then it is active on the network. If it is flashing red, that means a duplicate address. If it is solid red that would appear to indicate a hardware issue with the device. Or possibly the device is at the wrong baud rate. DH+ does not automatically adjust baud rates. The default baud rate is 57.6kb.

OG

The fault on the PLC is most likely because there is no program. Downloading will clear the fault. You can clear the memory by disconnecting the battery and powering down, but that simply removes any existing program. It would still be faulted. Faulted is normal for a new processor out of the box.

I'm curious what the DH+ status indicator is showing. Does it at any point turn solid green?

If you disconnect the cable it should flash green. If it is solid green then it is active on the network. If it is flashing red, that means a duplicate address. If it is solid red that would appear to indicate a hardware issue with the device. Or possibly the device is at the wrong baud rate. DH+ does not automatically adjust baud rates. The default baud rate is 57.6kb.

OG

CHA is solid green, the light on the processor is solid green.
CHB is flashing green then off no red at all.
When I look at the communications on my computer it shows node
2 is there
When I hit download the green light goes off on the processor,
CHA and CHB FLASHES.
Then I get Cannot get connected to the processor
Diagnostic status failed Sts= ox0.2
Link Layer timed out (NO REPLY) or Received NAK

This program had been running for years, I just wanted to load it into a new processor so I could do some testing on some additions to the program prior to install.
Cheers
Larry

Thanks for providing those details. I'm going to ask you to back up and do some clarifying.

Exactly which model of PLC-5/40 is this ? There were the uncommon PLC-5/40VME and 5/40L, the very common PLC-5/40B (with four total DH+/RIO ports), and the PLC-5/40E with Ethernet.

Which port are you connecting to the DH+ network ?

How are you connecting your computer to the DH+ network ? Are you using a true RS-232 to DH+ interface like the 1770-KF2, or a 1784-PKTX or -PCMCIA, or a modern USB to DH+ interface (1784-U2DHP) ?

You mentioned at the start that you have "configured the DIP switches". When the PLC-5/40 is configured to use Channel 1A as DH+ (very common, and by default) then it gets its Station Number and Data Rate from the settings of Switch 1. This is illustrated on page E-2 of the PLC-5 Enhanced and Ethernet User Manual.

The functionality of each channel of a PLC-5/40 is determined in the user program. If Channel 1B, 2A, or 2B is configured for DH+, then the Station Number and the Data Rate come from the user program, not from the DIP switches.

It is possible that your user program has Channel 1A configured for a RIO scanner, so once the program has been downloaded it can't communicate on DH+. I think that's consistent with the Channel 1A indicator LED flashing (RIO scanner with no slave devices) and being unable to communicate with Channel 1A.

It's been a decade or more since I touched a PLC-5 so this is largely from memory (with a quick refresher from the User Manual).

Thanks for providing those details. I'm going to ask you to back up and do some clarifying.

Exactly which model of PLC-5/40 is this ? There were the uncommon PLC-5/40VME and 5/40L, the very common PLC-5/40B (with four total DH+/RIO ports), and the PLC-5/40E with Ethernet.

Which port are you connecting to the DH+ network ?

How are you connecting your computer to the DH+ network ? Are you using a true RS-232 to DH+ interface like the 1770-KF2, or a 1784-PKTX or -PCMCIA, or a modern USB to DH+ interface (1784-U2DHP) ?

You mentioned at the start that you have "configured the DIP switches". When the PLC-5/40 is configured to use Channel 1A as DH+ (very common, and by default) then it gets its Station Number and Data Rate from the settings of Switch 1. This is illustrated on page E-2 of the PLC-5 Enhanced and Ethernet User Manual.

The functionality of each channel of a PLC-5/40 is determined in the user program. If Channel 1B, 2A, or 2B is configured for DH+, then the Station Number and the Data Rate come from the user program, not from the DIP switches.

It is possible that your user program has Channel 1A configured for a RIO scanner, so once the program has been downloaded it can't communicate on DH+. I think that's consistent with the Channel 1A indicator LED flashing (RIO scanner with no slave devices) and being unable to communicate with Channel 1A.

It's been a decade or more since I touched a PLC-5 so this is largely from memory (with a quick refresher from the User Manual).
I checked everything you talked about.
1785-L40B
CH 1A
RS232 + DH +
DL3500
I looked at the dip switches again and everything I can see is ok.
I just powered the processor back up, green light on 1A solid green.The computer sees node 2. It is just when I try to download the program crash.
I have another processor coming in tomorrow, I may have better luck with it.
Thanks to all of you guys for your support.
I have learned a lot over the past day and a half.
Cheers
Larry W

I'm not a DL3500 user but does it have a node address on the DH+ network? What is it?

I have two on this, one out in the plant and one in the office workstation 72, 76. These have worked fine for years.
I have to be missing something because I noticed when I go online with another plc the CHB goes on solid, when I try to go online with the new one it blinks.
Larry