moving forward-automation in the age of epidemics.

kalabdel

As I navigate about my daily life in the age of physical distancing and all those other phrases that are now quite common I noticed how important and practical automated entrance doors with motion sensors, hand dryers/blowers that do not require you to stick your hands in and end up touching anything,touch screens in fast wood takouts etc. I can easily forecast that everything that eliminate touching or face to face interactions will become almost mandatory. I imagine voice recognition will become common place, apps for ordering food will replace HMI in new ways; maybe as soon as you enter the fast food building you can connect to something quicker and easier that recognizes the pick the location and what it offers and much more creative options.
Electronic payment will become even more prevalent,accessible and of course secure.

Edit: I just remembered an example of a change o would like it see, something to monitor traffic in a place like a gym or coffee shop to decide when to go combined with something like booking but not quite booking; not sure what that would be; I don't want to book a gym time to remain flexible with my time and want to make sure that the number of members are not going to increase byond a certain comfortable level. Whatever that mean

What about industrial settings, what do you see in your field that must change to move with the times?

Last edited:
Not really a permanent answer but all the doors that we could prop open in the company are propped open so no one needs to touch them.

Automatic openers are likely going to get more popular in the future

Slightly OT but regarding automatic doors - when Star Trek began in the late 1960s the US Navy asked about the automatic doors portrayed in the episodes with regard to implementing that on ships. The producers wrote back that the automatic doors were just stagehands watching through small holes in the set and opening the doors as the actors approached. There is a gag reel showing some of the failures of the doors.

Slightly OT but regarding automatic doors - when Star Trek began in the late 1960s the US Navy asked about the automatic doors portrayed in the episodes with regard to implementing that on ships. The producers wrote back that the automatic doors were just stagehands watching through small holes in the set and opening the doors as the actors approached. There is a gag reel showing some of the failures of the doors.

Its interesting that some of the gadgets that the original Star Trek used actually in a sense do exist today, such as automatic open doors and communicators AKA cell phones.

Nobody is going to comment on 'fast wood takouts', nobody, the level of humour on this forum has fallen to a worrying degree. Austin Powers would have been all over that, 'little blue pills baby, yeah', 'Do you find life hard'.

So just me then!!!

We are also propping open some doors.
We are using the foot-pull and some elbow-pull door openers.
I have reservations with the elbow-pull opener on opaque doors.
---possible elbow injuries from some bull-head barging through from the opposite side.

For years, I have been accused of being a germophobe - so maybe I'll will make it.

Its interesting that some of the gadgets that the original Star Trek used actually in a sense do exist today, such as automatic open doors and communicators AKA cell phones.

Not to be rude or anything, but we had automatic door openers long before STTOS; they were common at grocery stores and activated by contact mats on the ground (otherwise how do the customers and cart collectors get in with grocery carts?). I agree that non-contact openers were probably a later development. Whoops, no, 1931 actually! And automatic doors go back the the 1st century A.D? wow.

Also, personal communicators go back at least to the Dick Tracy comic strip ca. 1946.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The two men addressed turned obediently, after one reluctant glance at Graham, and instead of going through the archway as he expected, walked straight to the dead wall of the apartment opposite the archway. And then came a strange thing; a long strip of this apparently solid wall rolled up with a snap, hung over the two retreating men and fell again, and immediately Graham was alone with the new comer and the purple-robed man with the flaxen beard. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From When the Sleeper Wakes, by H.G. Wells. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Published by Unknown in 1899[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Too much time on my hands, I guess ...
[/FONT]