Indirect addressing in Micrologix 1400

I am confused.

I am using indirect addressing to copy from one point to another based on an integer file but I got one Copy instruction that works and then one that doesn't.

I will attach a screen shot and the first one validates but I get an error on the second one that says "File number doesn't point to the correct file type!". They look the same to me.

2020_01_09_15_43_43_RSLogix_500.jpg

If N33:1 contains a value at the time of verification that points to a nonexistent file, you will get that warning. If you have taken steps to ensure that N33:1 can never contain an invalid value at runtime, you can ignore the error.

Like Okie said - if you have a number in N33 that points to a missing F data file the error will occur. So if N33:1 is 33, the system will look for F33:0 which can't exist.
You would get the same error on the top instruction if N37:7 was equal to 37.

If you don't have a lot of checks in place to restrict the possible values in your N registers, then you would need a ton of possible F data files and would end up maxing the memory out in the 1400.

Maybe restructuring some logic to always start with a known data file like F100:[N33:1] could be more robust? A limitation there is that N33:1 can't be over 255