120V circuit breaker lockouts

milldrone

I know there is another safety thread in discussion at this moment, http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61317 but my question is slightly different.

I have recently started a new job with a company that operates 24/7. My old job was a typical 8 hour production per day facility. At the 8 hour facility. I just waited until production ended and locked out the electrical power supplied to the item needing maintenance, no big deal. If I was working on a 120V item I just locked out the power to the transformer supplying power to the 120V circuit breaker panel. This was because I have found the design of individual circuit breaker lockout devices to fail when there are too many locks on them. They just fall to the floor!

At my new job they have many 120V items that need to be locked out so that maintenance can can be performed. Management desires a single circuit breaker lockout so that other processes and control can still function.

Some of the other issues that rule out options are:
1. The plant is not due for a plant wide shutdown for another 18 months.
2. The safety cops have ruled that a lock hasp cannot be applied to the circuit breaker door.

Has anyone found a single circuit breaker lockout device that won't fall off the breaker toggle under the weight of several locks?

Isn't there a disconnect closer to the machine, like on the panel, that can be shutoff/locked, rather than the tiny little lock on the actual circuit breaker at the distribution panel?

Could you have a single lock on the breaker lockout, and the key to that lock is contained in a locked cabinet/closet/holder that can support the multiple required lockouts of each maintenance person who is working on the device. I'm pretty sure this is an acceptable lockout method if I remember my last OSHA Lockout/Tagout course.

All the breaker locks I've seen tend to do what you say, either they fall off or they aren't that secure to start with. Perhaps you could look at either adding a padlock attachment for each individual breaker to the faceplate of the panel...or ordering something from the panel manufacturer?

In our 120V panels, we use a tag attached to the handle - the penalty for operating a device under "lock out" is being fired. If the device is locked out (even when it isn't actually locked) the person who installed the lock or his supervisor are the only ones who can operate the breaker.

It ain't really "safe", but the alternative is to disassemble the panel and remove the breaker. This tagging style works well in a place you have a minimal amount of people.

Isn't there a disconnect closer to the machine, like on the panel, that can be shutoff/locked, rather than the tiny little lock on the actual circuit breaker at the distribution panel?

I have already suggested a "field disconnect" to management. In my humble opinion this is the best option for several reasons. The issue from management is that to install most of these would require a plant shutdown if we lockout the transformer supply.

Could you have a single lock on the breaker lockout, and the key to that lock is contained in a locked cabinet/closet/holder that can support the multiple required lockouts of each maintenance person who is working on the device. I'm pretty sure this is an acceptable lockout method if I remember my last OSHA Lockout/Tagout course.

The issue with this scheme is that workers that need another but separate circuit breaker to be locked out sometimes knock the first lockout device applied off the circuit breaker toggle when applying the lockout on the next breaker.

Perhaps you could look at either adding a padlock attachment for each individual breaker to the faceplate of the panel...or ordering something from the panel manufacturer?

I will look into this. But some of the issues are going to be:
1. Old panels, no longer manufactured.
2. To modify the faceplate will require a complete shutdown of power.
3. Many of our circuit breaker panels have two vertical columns of breakers that are not separated by any metal to mount a separate faceplate attachment.

In our 120V panels, we use a tag attached to the handle - the penalty for operating a device under "lock out" is being fired. If the device is locked out (even when it isn't actually locked) the person who installed the lock or his supervisor are the only ones who can operate the breaker.

This has been ruled unacceptable by the safety cops! Every individual that is in harm's way needs to be "in control of the power source" I agree with this concept also.

Keep them coming, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
3M to the rescue

I've had a lot of success with this system. It should address all the issues you have with individual breaker mount devices. Also, it hooks on w/ self tapping screws, so you don't have to take off the cover, just be careful with your drill!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MElectrical/Home/ProductsServices/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52300RQ50ISL93Q0T24Q5_nid=B7F11KL1QBbe93N70GG8HGgl

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtlXTVNxMXEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=PanelSafe_PB.pdf

Last edited:
Dual hat response where I have both safety and electrical experience.

Relying on only just the lockout tagout is a one size fitzall approach favored by many safety people. This is a huge mistake I think for following reasons
1. The gizmos that screw on panel breaker handles fall off. I have had it happen. I use a paper clip thru the tag and breaker handle and twist it and then stick the lock and gizmo on.
2. What about fuses in older plants? How do you stick a lock on fuse holders or even more confusing screw in type fuses?

I like putting a lock on the panel door myself. It is done and a common practice in schools, hospitals and other public facilities. Yes it defeats ready access to someone else
BUT why should someone have to run to the panel in an emergency? Should there not be a local disconnect if the place is properly wired? Many are not - I worked in them.

When I started electrical trade all we had was paper tags. It worked well ONLY because it was enforced. I do not advocate them for all cases and situations but they have their place in a properly applied and thought out safety policy.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
We just purchased a "captive key" lock box for this very concern. The Brady single pole breaker lockouts do just fine with only a single lock hanging from them. So it's a quick and easy solution as far as I'm concerned.

We just purchased a "captive key" lock box for this very concern. The Brady single pole breaker lockouts do just fine with only a single lock hanging from them. So it's a quick and easy solution as far as I'm concerned.

It was the Brady that fell off the breaker - that was quite a few years ago so they may have improved them.

Dan Bentler

A group lockout, as suggested by monkeyhead above will solve this problem. A single padlock is fitted to the breaker lockout. The key is dropped in a group lock box and subsequent padlocks are then attached to the lock box. Only when all padlocks are removed from the lock box, can the initial padlock be removed from the breaker.

Here are a couple of links to:

A technical article on group lockout.

A circuit breaker lockout selection guide.

An online webshop for circuit breaker lockouts.

Tim Hughes

A group lockout, as suggested by monkeyhead above will solve this problem. A single padlock is fitted to the breaker lockout. The key is dropped in a group lock box and subsequent padlocks are then attached to the lock box. Only when all padlocks are removed from the lock box, can the initial padlock be removed from the breaker.

Interesting,

Are there any schemes for identifying what you are locking out once the key is in the box?

We used a group lockout at my previous employer and we would put the bright red lock box on a cart parked by the equipment. Every lock had the owners picture on the attached tag, so even if they were all hiding somewhere, at least you knew who to ask. Our lock box (IIRC) had five locks so you could lock out multiple sources of energy or even more than one related machine.

Any unused locks stayed locked inside the box. So once the first person locked up the box, there was no way to change what the lock was applied to or apply it to multiple pieces of equipment later on.

I think there was a simple form that went along with the group lock and a designee (boss/team leader) who needed to approve and sign off beforehand, just to make sure the system didn't get mis-applied. Once the stuff was locked out, it was easy to add your lock when you began work, remove your lock(s) at shift change and so forth.

While this may be over kill for your application, is it possible to use a "Kirk Key" interlock system? Or can use the lockable breaker (1/4 plate with a pad lock over the vertical switch that prevents the breaker from energizering and locks to the breaker). I have used both for certain applications where it is imperative for the lock out.