L32E firmware upgrade 13 to 19 issues

robw53

Hi Guys,

we recently updated our firmware on a peice of kit recently from v13 to v19 since then we have been having comms issues and panelviews not responding to any input to them. and blue banner alarms for the VFD's been in fault even though they are not. i didnt no if it had anything to do with Unicast messaging or the update to the wall clock time to UTC for the GSV's etc

any ideas?

Last edited:
13 to 19 might be a push at least for the rest of the system's components; these six major revisions span some fifteen years of hardware development.
Have you checked the compatibility of all devices with the controller's new one?
I'd try downgrading the CompactLogix CPU to Rev.15 first and if the system seems to behave normally, increase the CPU's firmware revision in one major release steps until you find the highest "operational" one...I have a hunch you will stop at 16...

FWIW I have a 1769-L32E, Manufactured Date of 2011/11/04. It successfully works with V19, and it is connected to a 2711-B6C20 PanelView 600. I am having no issues with this setup

blab2.jpg

blab1.jpg

There is a quick shot of our setup. Ignore the unimaginative name for the Processor! I would say I don't remember setting the path to "01 00". On all our other machines it is simply "1 0".

Other things to think about

In the PV Comms screen, make sure DHCP is disabled unless you know you need it.
Make sure your address is in the same subnet as the PLC processor.(maybe it somehow got changed after the upgrade).

We have also got a machine running with version 19 and a PV600 which was upgraded from v13 when the processor died and that doesn't have any issues, back to this one.... I upgraded again to v20 to see what would happen and this suffered no issues over a few hours, I then decided to just go for v18 and try that as this supported the AOI which I was after and the company laptop doesn't have v20 like my laptop and this has ran for 4 days without a single hiccup.

How did the end cap disappear because of a firmware update ?!

o_O

Would certainly like to hear the full story of this one.

I seem to remember an upgrade of one of these, and the firmware instructions said to disconnect all the modules to the right of the PLC...which would require moving the end cap. Just a guess.