Rates for PLC Programming and HMI , and Commisioning

Rob S.

I have been asked by a engineering firm , that is shorthanded , to write a PLC program ,do a HMI application and commission a 20 tank fill and drain type system with recipes. They would like to have me quote the job first. I have never done this before. I have always worked for an manufacturing plant , and that was just my job. What is the rate for programmers , and how do I allow for unseen issues ?
It don't sound too difficult , but I really need to wrap my head around it. I don't want to probe too much , because they may think that I am really interested. I am really busy with my employer projects now .

Thanks so much , in advance , for your advice.

$175.00/hr for programming & 59.00/hr for service; with the automotive industry in the Detroit area things cost more.

Also for a quote, you have to figure a good estimate of programming & build times, with times for installation & troubleshooting calculated in, engineering changes (which happen almost every project) are billed separately.

$175.00/hr for programming & 59.00/hr for service; with the automotive industry in the Detroit area things cost more.

Also for a quote, you have to figure a good estimate of programming & build times, with times for installation & troubleshooting calculated in, engineering changes (which happen almost every project) are billed separately.

Wow, $175 USD for programming. No wonder I just lost two of my key guys to automotive for $$ we cannot match. We only charge $90/hr in food industry and still get low balled by companies charging $60/hr, and this is CAD$

It's business where one gets what one pays for, most of the time.
Steve says it best:
image.php

Wow, I haven't run into a programming rate that high in Detroit ever....till now. Congrats!

There are companies in the area that charge more, too.

One charges $60.00/hr for scheduled service, $90.00 for emergency service, and time & 1/2 for after hours (after 3:00PM)on that. Their programming is the same as mine.

The other's standard rate for service calls is $125.00/hr, but they prefer to build panels only so that's a lot less (but I don't remember it now) and they don't program - just build the panels as ordered.

I guess that explains why the (3) contractors and I that share an office are busy. Our rates are a little more than CurlyAndShemp's and that's about all Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, and Cummins are willing to pay out. Though we don't do service, strictly new equipment or changes to equipment we did originally.

The thing is, with that "Just-In-Time" stuff (I have another word for it) any downtime to one of the automotive companies will be billed to the supplier & that runs $1,000.00 to 1,500.00 per MINUTE for causing one of their assembly lines to shut down because they ran out of your part - customers pay whatever they have to to get a machine running & the parts made & shipped.

Yeah, that would fall into the service category. If I advertised that I did service I'd be up to my neck with demands and wouldn't have a life outside of work. For me, its not worth it, been there done that. Commissioning new equipment is about the right amount of time I like to spend out of the office. Engineer-it, program-it, debug-it, run-it-off, and commission-it is the norm.

Yeah, doing service your life does get put on hold - any call 24/7 needs immediate service, buy tickets for the theater for a show you want to see & it's guaranteed your phone will start ringing that afternoon & all evening with emergencies. The ex-wife never appreciated that, but now she's an "ex".

Back to the topic

Since you have not done this before, I would go in low and use it as a way to improve yourself and get your first paying client.

Make sure you specify who is paying for what tho. Licenses, software, hardware and all that..