text file into excel

ganutenator,

There are several ways to do what you are asking in InduSoft.

First, I would suggest you contact InduSoft Support directly.

Options include
1. Use the Report feature to output as a .CSV file
2. You mention generating a web page. The report can be output as a HTML file. The included PCDemo has an example of HTML report
3. Use the built-in function FileWrite() to output to .CSV
4. Use the database functions to write directly to Excel

All of these options would allow you to make the information more "humanly readable".

Scott Kortier
Senior Technical Sales, InduSoft

I've done this a few ways in the past. Its particularly helpful for really old stuff that doesn't have options export to csv or excel, only text. I found my method really helpful with GE Mk V configuration files that i wanted to get into excel so i could better search, filter, etc the unit configuration prior to making changes to the actual configuration files or when troubleshooting. Obviously do this with a copy of the files, not the originals.

In the text file use replace (ctrl +H) to insert tabs or commas where you want to break data into cells. Note that if you want to replace with Tabs, enter 8 spaces in the "replace with" field, as notepad won't let you enter a Tab into the replace with field.

Once you delineate the text file, save and change the file extension appropriately. Excel files are tab delineated, whereas CSV is comma delineated. Using Excels "Data - Text to Columns" feature sometime works great, sometimes is a PIA depending on the format of the text file.

the indusoft saves data values to a text file. here a snipet of what the text file looks like:

I would like to allow the customer to view this as in a format that makes more sense to them.
Thinking of maybe using the vb in excel to read the lines of the text file and put them in the proper cells? but I don't know how to do that at the moment.

[Speed Config]
Pre1WashPassSpd=1.35
Pre1SlowFrntSpd=0.80
Pre1SlowRearSpd=0.80
Pre2WashPassSpd=1.35
Pre2SlowFrntSpd=0.80
Pre2SlowRearSpd=0.80
HiPressWashPassSpd=1.25
HiPressSlowWashPassSpd=0.70
HiPressSlowFrntSpd=0.70
HiPressSlowRearSpd=0.70
TriFoamWashPassSpd=1.50
LpChem3PassSpd=1.25
FoamWaterfallPassSpd=1.30
PresoakDwellPassSpd=1.50
RepositionPassSpd_hmi=1.57
MedPressPassSpd=1.57
SpotFreeWashPassSpd=1.25
TopMedPressPmpSpd=30
SideMedPressPmpSpd=30
SideHighPressNormalPmpSpd=48
SideHighPressTallPmpSpd=60
UnderbodyPmpSpd=30

Using the method i mentioned earlier, i would save a copy of the text file, use Replace (ctrl+h), replace = with either a comma or 8 spaces, save, change the file extension and viola. Signal name will be in column A and value will be in column B.

Now I am thinking that it would be better to generate a web page w/ the data.

Yes, now we're talking.

CSV support in excel sucks and doesn't make for a good solution for the customer.

There are other ways though, web site being one of the best, preferably with the data stored in a database.

If your customers loves excel you could also used a lesser known feature called web queries.