RS Logix 5000 - Failed to save project. File not found

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I created a file called "InterBake Line 4 1348 Molder". I downed to the processor . I go to save changes and I get the message "Failed to save the project , File not found " . What could be the cause of this ? I have plenty of disk space , it won't save to a USB stick ,either.

Thanks,

It is not a serious issue, sometimes the user have to save the file into the same destination where it is default.
So try to find the default location.
Also can you please share your systems details here?
What are the specifications for the Processor?

Under the help , in the message box I get these possibilities , but none of these don't seem to be the issue.....

Error saving the project
There was an error saving the project file. The error message you receive indicates one of the following conditions:

Path doesn't exist
If you are saving to a network or removable drive, make sure that the drive is still available. You will be able to save your project after reconnecting to the network drive or reinserting the removable drive. If the drive is going to be unavailable for an extended period of time, you should consider saving your project to a different drive, using the Save As command.

Access Denied
Make sure that you have write privileges to the file.

Operation Cancelled
You tried saving to a drive that doesn't have enough available space. Free up some space, or save your project to a different drive, using the Save As command.

Just curious, what operating system are you using? I ran into some access issues and saving issues with RSLogix 5000 (and 500) because I was not using the "Documents" directory and Windows (and IT) had locked down program access from non-Admin programs. If I chose to "Run as admin..." it would work. I had to go into Windows and change the UAC settings to be less restrictive to allow me to save the files.

May not be the issue, but something to look at.

Also, have you tried a different file name? I had one time where a RSLogix 5000 project would not save when I had a 6 digit date code in the file name. DDMMYY format. I do not know why it was an issue, but as long as I had the numbers in the file name it refused to Save. As soon as I deleted the date code, it saved without problem.

The times I have had this issue it was caused by the User Defined Data types. (Add-On)
1. If the Add On Data type has an embedded Add On Data type and the embedded Add On Type is not the first Data Type declared, reload the last know good copy of the program.

2. If the data type was added and not saved, and you log out then log back in and try to save it. This will sometimes give you that error. In this case I delete the original project and download from the PLC. It seems if RSLogix finds the program it uses it as reference and somehow messes it up.

I can't save none of my RS Logix 5000 programs now. I get so frustrated with this career. I have so many jobs to finish and I have to deal with this stupid stuff. I am not using any defined data types.

Tharon , what path is that to the UAC setting. I just don't what has changed.

Thanks and I'm sorry.

Tharon , what path is that to the UAC setting. I just don't what has changed.

The only way I know how to reach it is to type "UAC" in the windows search bar (start menu) and it will comes up "Change User Account Controller Settings".

This may not be your issue. Since you seem to have the problem no matter where you try to save. Mine happened on a fresh install when I tried to save somewhere outside of the User Documents folder. Running the software "As Admin" would also solve that issue for me at the time, before I lowered the UAC restrictions.

FYI , here is a technote concerning the possible cause .

The path below does not make sense to me .

C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp directory

Question

Why might RSLogix 5000 software generate the following errors?

Failed to save the project. Couldn't be found. Error 3716-80042001

Unable to save file. Error 371-80042017

Unable to save file. Error 753-80042017

Answer

Another software application or even virus has erased the temporary files it was using.

When an (.ACD) is opened, the working data is uncompressed into the users TEMP directory. C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp

Clicking Start--> Run and typing: %temp% will take you to this location.

There is also a (.WRK) file created in the same directory as the (.ACD) file. When the user clicks the 'Save' button, the (.WRK) file becomes the new (.ACD) file, and the original (.ACD) file becomes a backup file (BAK000.ACD).

What to do:

The offline work around is to 'Save As' the (.L5K) format.

If online the user will be forced to terminate the session. With RSLogix 5000 software shut down, delete the C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp directory and afterwards go back online to save the changes within the Controller.

How to prevent:

Users need to engage in self investigation to find out what other software edited or removed the data from the; C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp) directory.

If the culprit application is found, try to exclude the \RSLogix 5000.temp\ folder from being accessed so this doesn't happen again.

On a Windows Vista computer, verify the auto save function isn't triggering Vista to perform a scan which deleted the temporary files.

The directory path you stated

C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Tem p directory

looks to me like a Windows XP format (with compression of the longer names)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\RSLogix5000

(I'm not sure about the '.tem' on the end)

In Windows 7 the path is (enable "Show Hidden Files" to see all of this path)

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\RSLogix5000.temp\

in this folder is another folder for the currently opened project.

(I think this site is placing the space between 't' and 'emp')

Last edited:
In RSLogix 5000 go to File>Open and then browse to the .L5K file and it will import it saving it as an .ACD file as you do.

G.

Last edited: