Allen Bradley Panelview 1000 series RS485 Master/Slave configuration

idiotsecant

Is it possible to configure an Allen Bradley panelview 1000 series to be a modbus RS485 slave? I guess I am not certain exactly how/if that would work, the Allen Bradley documentation all seems to assume that you will configure the HMI to be a master.

I am attemping to interface three panelview 1000 series HMIs onto a single serial bus to communicate with a Honeywell safety system - I have to use serial as the ethernet ports are all dedicated to various safety links and cannot carry my lowly HMI traffic. As far as I know all three HMIs will want to be master on the bus, Does anyone know if is there any way this can work?

Thanks 🍻

Welcome to the Forum !

I presume these are PanelView Plus terminals, not the old PanelView Standards ? Those definitely could not be Modbus RTU Slaves.

I'm scratching my head about why an Ethernet network that's robust enough to carry safety data couldn't also handle HMI data. But certainly sometimes network segregation is done on purpose.

PanelView Plus uses the KepServer EX software as the non-Rockwell communication drivers. Look in yours to see if the "Modbus Unsolicited Serial" driver is listed.

A network like the one you describe is shown in the 2711P-UM002B Modbus Applications for PanelView Plus user manual, on Page 11.

Thanks for the help! These are indeed panelview plus terminals. I agree with your head scratching on the network traffic issue- as you guessed this is purely a network segregation issue, in fact all the ethernet ports available are of the non-switched, segregated variety - my HMIs are not 'allowed' on this network. I looked into the solution you provided and it definitely looks interesting - I will persue that option. Another option I am considering is doing the work in hardware - I see Prosoft offers a unit that acts as a serial modbus to EtherBet/IP gateway that seems like it would be just the ticket for what I'm trying to do: (http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/PLX3x/PLX31/EtherNet-IP-to-Modbus-Serial). I will update this post with our final solution for those who might have the same question.

Thanks again!

I don't have experience with that specific Prosoft device, but be sure that it works the way you expect so that the PanelView Plus can talk to it.

If the Prosoft device is purely an I/O object on the Ethernet/IP side, you might not be able to address it as though it's a data table or set of predefined tags, which is what the PV+ would have to do.