What do you call this voltage

IF you're an old dog have grey hairs you could claim senior moment.
You're a young pup just claim brain effluviation ie Fxxt
hmm does this censor ****?? YUP sure did.

Dan Bentler

joeparrish said:
I know 3 phase is but when you just use 2 legs of 480 what do you call that

more clarification...
3 phase systems have 3 "hot wires" called lines. Line A B and C
A phase is between any 2 lines.
A and B is phase 1
B and C is phase 2
A and C is phadse 3.

single phase systems use only 2 "hot wires"
A and B
or
B and C
or
A and C

So, even though there is 2 wires, it is only single phase
and there is no such thing as 2 phase

You also have phase-to-phase and phase-to-neutral depending on what country you're in and what supply is available to you.

stasis said:
technically, it's called Polyphase...

poly = 2, or two phases of a three phase system.

No, technically poly means "many" or "more than one"

E.g., A polygon has many sides, not two (which would be, what, a straight line or a circle??)

:: sigh ::

Here we go again!

Using two wires of a 3-phase is not technically "single phase", as each lead has a different offset frequency starting point. It could be called "poly" (strange I guess) or "multi" phase... but actually, the end result is the two wires are nearly always used to feed single phase loads, whether they are 220V or 110V.

The phase difference is there, but it is irrelevant.

Are you talking Wye or Delta? For 480VAC Delta, leg to leg would be single phase 480VAC. When you add a neutral (which should be tied to ground per U.S. NEC), leg to neutral becomes 277VAC single phase. Just sketch out the vector diagram.

We in the US typically refer to only single phase or three phase, but it makes more sense (to me anyway) to use these terms:

three phase = three lines
two phase = two lines
single phase = one line and one neutral