Learning by Doing

Once again, I have the last word! Ha!!!
Tee-Hee.gif

Actually Paula its probably the most common failure for encoders. I have dealt with many different brand encoders that would output a signal but not a "good" signal. I accredit it to the shock/vibration aspects.

In due time we will see if the new encoder fails...if so you are probably generating more shock/vibration then you realize. The light/medium duty encoders dont survive well if shock/vibration is to high on a continuous basis.

I know this sounds hard to believe but I just ran across this topic yesterday and have read through about 50% of the posts. Simply amazing. The last post was in May. Does anyone know what came of this project and if it is working?

Yes, the project is compleated & working.

Mike,

I must say that the effort you and others put into helping this project through to the end is simply remarkable. Once I started reading through the posts I didn't want to stop. I found myself saying things like wow and amazing quite a few times. And this lady Paula, wow, amazingly smart and talented. Would like to meet her someday.(y)

Thank you very much for your kind words! You are quite right that this project would not have happened without the help and advice of the members of this forum. The machine continues to run well, and my customer recently ordered a set of replacement blades for the shear, to keep on hand as a backup. I still intend to modify the program, as was discussed above, but just haven't had much time lately. The customer doesn't seem to be in any hurry. Thank you again for your comments!

Paula

rta53,

I also appreciate the remarks. But the reality is that it was easy to assist on this one. Paula was thorough, clear, and concise. All that was really done by others (including myself) was a nudge here or there in the right, (and a few times wrong), direction. Paula actually was the one who really put in the time & sweat into the project to make it happen. Paula's ability to communicate, be a quick study, and stick with it is what’s really amazing.
Paula I disagree with you on ONE point. Although you might have saved some time through the forum, I'd bet my left...aaaahhh Foot, that you could have done it on your own.

elevmike said:
rta53,

<snip> But the reality is that it was easy to assist on this one. Paula was thorough, clear, and concise. All that was really done by others (including myself) was a nudge here or there in the right, (and a few times wrong), direction. Paula actually was the one who really put in the time & sweat into the project to make it happen. Paula's ability to communicate, be a quick study, and stick with it is what’s really amazing. <snip>
I agree completely. Her ability to pose well thought out questions and show the efforts she already put forth are a great example of how to get help from the users of this forum.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Bad Example!!!!!

(Bump Up)
One of the longest and best threads deserves to be brought back.
If I were managing this project my integrator would have quickly wound up into saturation. This application should have taken a couple of days at most. Did you notice that I stayed out of this thread? I was shaking my head the whole time.

Does anybody think that this project was done in the cheapest way? I don't if you consider the people hours involved. I think it would have been cheaper to get a motion integrator and use a real motion controller.

Lancie, I have an extreme opposite idea of what makes a good startup and a good thread. They should be short with all the required questions and information to answer the questions in the OPs first post. There only needs to be a few posts with answers.

Hi Peter

As one who take a part in this thread.I agree with you, but not agree.
Yes it was smarter to get someone with the correct knowledge and equipment to do it.BUT this lady got the job with limitation and ask for help.
It was hard to teach here by the forum,but it was fun.
I see this thread as very good sample of the power of this forum.
She did not just ask questions ,she try and did it with forum members assistance.
Any one have to start with something.You don't get the knowledge without to try and ask questions.She use us as platform and that OK with me.
When people ask stupid questions I don't have the feeling to answer them.
When the questions more focus I now the person thought about it before he ask.Now I willing to help.

(Bump Up)

One of the longest and best threads deserves to be brought back.

I, for one, wholeheartedly agree. To me, this thread is kind of like a good novel or movie: full of struggle, interesting characters, and a good story arc (of course, Paula's excellent writing probably lends a lot to that overall impression!). The messiness and protracted length of the thread are part, but not all, of its charm.

I can appreciate Peter's viewpoint about conciseness, but, for me, seeing the genesis of the project along with Paula's understanding of automation and programming was fascinating and educational. One of the best reads I've had in quite some time, and I'm only about 12 pages in.

So thanks Lancie1 for the "bump up" (y)

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

They should be short with all the required questions and information to answer the questions in the OPs first post. There only needs to be a few posts with answers.
Those things would make it easy to write answers, but not near as interesting to me. For me, watching as others learn cranks my tractor.

Those things would make it easy to write answers, but not near as interesting to me. For me, watching as others learn cranks my tractor.
So what about MATT116? He needs to cut ovals. Do you really think 'helping' MATT116 like you helped Paula is helping?
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=65818
Matt's problem is a little different. The required motor sizes are know because it is an existing project. The motion programming will be the difficult part unless the motion controller comes with an easy way to generate ovals.

Fast, easy and engineered installations crank my tractor. Most things have been done before. There is no need to re-discover the wheel in a void.