Eplan vrs AutoCad Electrical

Mark Buskell

Our company is thinking out purchasing Eplan. I was wondering if members here could good give me the pros or cons on Eplan.
Also I had mentioned Autocad Electrical as a possibly alernative but I don't know how it stacks up against Eplan.
We currently use Autocad Lt for our electrical drawing but now are starting to think of the best course for the future.
Something thats generates drawings, BOM's, panel layout's may be a great tool as we look ahead.

I use AutoCad Electrical, and honestly, I'm not impressed.

I've tried the demo of EPlan, and much prefer it to AutoCad, but we are standardized on AutoCad through the company here.

If I were an OEM or SI, I'd be using EPlan (or anything besides AutoCad Electrical).

In europe eplan is 75%, so easy choice, especially as the education here is using it.
i do use an alternative called elwin, it works same as eplan but it costs a whopping 29 euro.

Our company is thinking out purchasing Eplan. I was wondering if members here could good give me the pros or cons on Eplan.
Also I had mentioned Autocad Electrical as a possibly alernative but I don't know how it stacks up against Eplan.
We currently use Autocad Lt for our electrical drawing but now are starting to think of the best course for the future.
Something thats generates drawings, BOM's, panel layout's may be a great tool as we look ahead.

If you are familiar with Autocadd and have a library built up, stick with AutoCadd Electrical.

3 years ago I looked into Eplan vs AutoCadd. I found Eplan very expensive and difficult to learn.
For what I could buy for 1 Eplan license, I could buy 2 AutoCadd Electrical Network licenses.

I already had AutoCadd skills, so the learning curve for Electrical was much shorter, plus all our drawings were already in AutoCadd format, so I could use our existing library and do the AutoCadd Lisp magic on those drawings.

All our customers' P&ID drawings are in AutoCadd, so using Electrical would could modify those drawings and return them in AutoCadd format.

I just bought ACE 2014 few days ago.
I was thinking E Plan but,It cost twice,No support in Israel,and the most important no support 17 years of Auto Cad data base.
It cost here less then in US 4500 USD.
They have reasonable support.
For AutoCad user the learning curve would be easy.
There is a lot of alternative but for large scale of projects you need E Plan or AutoCad.

I used AutoCAD Electrical for six years, and honestly, now that I'm back on regular AutoCAD, I see very little advantage to it, especially if you have a block library already built up. If your company has any kind of standard that deviates from what Autodesk has decided everyone should use, you will spend a LOT of time setting up the new system. The main difference between ACADe and E-Plan is that ACADe is AutoCAD with a bunch of hack-and-slash lisp routines on top of it, and E-Plan was built from the ground-up as an electrical schematic drawing package.

I've never used E-Plan, but ACADe is a very "you will do things OUR way" kind of program. Let's say you want to add a symbol for a new component. You can do it, but it's very tedious and time consuming. Plus, if you want, say, a central schematic and component database and screen menu so all of your users are referencing the same parts, you have to hack a number of files to get it to work. Plus (and this is my BIG gripe), Autodesk is using Microsoft Access as it's database structure. Talk about SLOW. Wire references are also unidirectional, which sucks when you want to use PLC addresses for wire numbers and have to reference "backwards" to previous sheets or else it won't work. As time has gone on, each successive release of AutoCad Electrical has become more bloated, more buggy, and slower. It seems like every feature they add breaks 2 or 3. The upgrade from 2012 to 2013 cost me three days of downtime. Finally, it's really easy to break the links for component and wire cross referencing. All you have to do is not do things exactly right and suddenly you'll have wire numbers that won't go over to the next sheet, or you'll have wire number carrying over through a device even though the device is clearly breaking the network and should generate a new number, and component cross references that won't update. The bottom line is that AutoCAD Electrical does not adjust to your drawing standard. You are the one who must adjust your drawing standard to fit what AutoCAD Electrical has decreed acceptable.

All that time I was supposed to save by not having to check my drawings for cross referencing errors was devoured by all that time I had to spend checking my drawings to make sure the automatic cross referencing worked. In the end, AutoCAD electrical offered little to no real advantage to me. Most of the time I just copy the previous drawing set and change what I need, anyway, so schematics really don't eat up much of my time to begin with. You'll spend way more time trying to force ACADe to do what you want it to do than you will just drawing with you want with LT.

Last edited:
I can agree with brstilson.I used to work with old LT with grate symbols library.
Its Dos system.But time come to move forward.
E plan look nice.But its less flexible.
I fit my self to ACE.In that way I can enjoy the power of ACE.You can not force ACE to what you want.I think I have found the bridge between.
As I wrote for small projects LT is good enough.

Another alternative not mentioned is Aucotec's Engineering Base , which despite the title is an electrical drawing package with some flexibility on pricing. It will do panel layouts , cable routing etc . There is atry before you buy option.
Paul

My favourite command I should never have to use but use many times a day is AEREBUILD. It fixes everything. Run a project wide update after running the rebuild and all xref, wires and components will be as they should. Also use WDAUDIT. I cannot stress enough you cant use vanilla ACAD commands to manipulate or copy components. You will break the hidden pointers to the components. The software really is a piece of **** if you want to go outside the way it wants you to go.

But having vanilla ACAD as part of the install really is a huge plus. I rate it a 7 out of 10 and EPLAN a 9.

ACADE doe have a FEW Quirks, It almost still seems to b a "work in progress" in development. it is nice it also fully supports AutoCAD. however this also means you have to be very wary about what AutoCAD commands you use in ACADE, you can really screw up ACADE cross-referencing.

ACADE is life. if you are responsible for HMI development, logic development and ACADE drawings, you will spend a LOT of time in just getting drawings done.

EPlan is just too expensive.