FactoryTalk View SE 8.0 Failed to write out of range value

paul alting

I have a site that I have recently commissioned using View SE 8.0 connected to a CompactLogix 1769-L30ER.

The customer has View SE ver 8.0, so that was used for development of this new project.

Presently, this project is standalone, that is, the computer running View SE resides in the MCC connected via a Stratix 5700 switch.

The system was developed off site and installed on site and commissioning was completed.

Problem:
Now, the operator informs me they can no longer change any setpoints on the View SE.

On the status bar at the bottom of the display the message appears:
[FONT=Courier New, serif]Failed to write out of range value <value> to tag <name>. Valid range is...[/FONT]
with <value> being what ever the setpoint being change is.

The input data entry field is a standard input field with validation of data entered. For example, if the field is for humidity, then the data validation is set to 0 for minimum and 100 for maximum.

All PLC tags that need external access, such as from View SE are set for external read/write access.

As mentioned, the system has been proven and has been working 100% fine for the past few weeks.

Nothing has changed in the PLC or the View SE application, so how can this be I wonder ?

The site is quite a number of hours away and I do not yet have remote access to diagnose the problem, so I thought has anyone here experienced anything like this at all ?

Paul

Well, embarrassingly, I might need to report that this might have been a classic case of operator problem.

My work colleague has just arrived on site and has reported back that he finds no problem at all with the system, which you can imagine is a relief.

We will be looking at exactly what that operator was doing and how we might make things better, more operator proof.

Thanks to those that looked and pondered at least :)

Paul

Most likely, there are limits set on what value can be entered into that field. For example, you might have a speed reference for a drive, and you want to restrict it from 10-50Hz. Your operator could have been putting in 60Hz, hoping to finish his day's production ahead of schedule and go home early :D

You can also configure variable limits - so it could be that another parameter has changed before your colleague got there, and now the value that could not be entered is fine to be entered. Check your min and max values on the entry field would be my advice.

Thank ASF, yes, you are correct, I designed the View SE application with limits specific for each setpoint variable, so all data entry is validated at the point of entry, not beyond, like in the PLC.

Speaking with the operator by phone yesterday when he was having the problem, I got him to enter, say a VSD speed reference up by one digit, so say from 85% to 86%, but no go.

I scale these setpoints from operator meaningful units to device units in the PLC, so for VSD, they are % on the View SE GUI and then as Hz in the code.

RSLogix is V20, which I believe has no native data validation to worry about. Like I say, was working and then a phone call by operator saying he can't change setpoints, both worrying and perplexing.

Thanks for your input ASF and had a giggle at the idea that the operator was itching to get home so upped the speed, like it, but this is a slow production, it is a product store, think potatoes :)

Huh, I thought they closed down years ago? Obviously not!

In any case, I can see why you were hoping to diagnose the problem remotely, it's a long way from anywhere out there ;)

Yes, I'm on the other (better) side of this island.
Seems these and other agricultural industries are blooming, with those two rivals trying to outdo each other in terms of production, hence a greater need for large storage.

The way things are looking I might need to think about getting a seaside cabin on that other side.🍺