VFD trips GFCI

dani90

conveyor system with 120V VFD, customer wanted to power the conveyor from GFCI plug but it kept tripping.
trying to get class B GFCI.

any other solutions?

In my experience, that is typical. I'm not sure why GFCI's don't like VFD's, but they don't.
I have powered them through a surge suppressor/line filter and it eliminates the problem.

VFD's have a natural amount of current that goes to ground due to the electronics inside, hence why GFI's or RCD's can often trip.

GFCIs trip at 4-6mA of current NOT returning through the neutral. VFDs leak more than that as Common Mode noise. As mentioned, filtering often works, sometimes just adding a shielded isolation transformer works, I've heard people claim that adding ferrite core CM chokes will do it. But alternatively, a Class B GF device usually works too. But if you are using a VFD in an area that requires everything to be protected by a GFCI, take note that a Class B is NOT a GFCI. The term GFCI is SPECIFIC to being a Class A device. The others are GFEP (Grounf Fault Equipment Protection), not the same.

I'm thinking jraef's comment about isolation transformers is the key. My unit has that along with suppressors, etc. That makes the most sense in eliminating ground faults.

The thing with installing an isolating transformer, it negates the additional protection a gfci offers.

Well, it still protects the primary circuit.

A lot of VFD's have a screw or a link that can be removed to disconnect the RFI filter.

This can make the drive more electrical "noisy", but may stop the GFCI from tripping