Siemens PG710 - Memory

Manglemender

Hello,

I'm trying to resurect an old PG710 for a customer. The BIOS battery had gone causing it to loose all the BIOS info. The battery has been replaced and hard disk details re-enterred.

The unit now boots up and will load the S5 command interpretter (V3.2) OK but when LAD,CSF,STL programming is selected a message appears about there not being enough memory.

Exiting to DOS (DRDOS) and typing "mem" reveals that there is 529K available and I'm struggling to make it any higher.

The system doesn't report any extended memory (>640K) should it?

Can anyone please compare for me the free memory available in a similar unit?

Thanks,

Nick

Fred,

Thanks for your reply.

The PG710 only reports 640K of memory so himem.sys wouldn't really do much. Would it?

I resurected a PG750 today, that has a whole 4MB of ram and a 40MB hard disk. Woo Hoo!

Nick

There were SOME computers in the 286/386 era that wouldn't "count" above 640K at bootup even if you had more, but you could still use it via himem.sys. Particularly if the extra memory was on an add-on card rather than the motherboard. Not sure if the PG710 was one of these or not.