Advanced Control. Off topic poll.

I went through the steps and pasted but can say I didn't learn them or understand their use.

I learned them in engineering school, and also fourier-transformation and Z-transformation.
Also evaluating frequency plots and Bode-plots.
I stopped at the bachelor degree, if I continued and gone for the master degree I would have gone much deeper into this stuff. It was actually at the point where studying went from boring to interesting. Makes me wonder if I chose the wrong path.
I had a pretty good grasp of it at the time, but nowadays, I only have a faint memory about it. Some things still stick though, about stability, deadtimes, poles ... err ....

edit: With Bode-plots I actuallu meant Orts-Kurven as they are called in german (dont remember the english term).
See, how quickly one forgets.

Last edited:
Like others, I learned them in college but fairly quickly forgot most things about them and have yet to use them since.

Same as others, learned it at uni. So far didn't use it at work, but they're used in my company, by R&D department (in library functions we use you can also see things like Kalman filter, covariant matrices etc., but I'm user, not developer).

Lately they developed a functioning fuzzy regulator (unrelated to Laplace, I know, but still, who uses that?) and I guess they might sell it soon knowing how sales knows to trick clients into buying untested stuff.

I learned them in college and reviewed the concept a couple years ago. I don't think I've made any real use of them. There were a few times I felt they might be helpful, but there was always some nuance to the process that left me unable to confidently represent the system with a transfer function.

A few weeks of study and review would probably unlock a deeper level of understanding that would be very beneficial, but I never seem to get around to it.

Laplace is the easier route to go, but I've forgotten a lot.

From wiki - The inverse Laplace transform takes a function of a complex variable s (often frequency) and yields a function of a real variable t (time). ... So, for example, Laplace transformation from the time domain to the frequency domain transforms differential equations into algebraic equations and convolution into multiplication.

Yep, that's what I remember. It's also not as accurate as fourier, but like all math, it's close enough.