AB CTC units..with 2 SLC 5/04 DH+

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
Currently there are two slc 5/04s communicating to two seperate hmi units (one slc to a 1400e and the other slc is connected to two AB CTCs. Remote CTC Catalog #: 6180-ABDBCFAZCZZ series A.. also on the remote ctc was this 6189-HD300)...I think the hd300 refers to the type/size of hard drive?
Anyways.. the plant wants to take the remote ctc unit (#s I included above) and move it to another location. At the same time they would like critical data from both units to be displayed on that one ctc.
Would it be better for the ctc to read from both processors, or should I write/message the fault words from the "new/remote" slc to the slc that the ctc currently communicates with? There is considerable distance between the the ctc and the "new/remote" slc (in excess of 600 feet). By the way the current slc that communicates to the remote ctc will be approximately 200 feet away.
I'm also assuming they are going to want some control over the remote unit.. so would the ctc be better writing to one processor and having that message the other, of just write directly to each processor?
both slcs run similar equipment (RTOs one a 3 tower the other a 5 tower). Sometimes there are power sags which knocks one or both units down. I'm leaning torwards having the ctc read/write to each indivdual slc, but with the distance I don't know if I'm might be overlooking something.
Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any questions I'll try my best to clarify.
This looks to be pretty fun, and I am looking forward to it, just want to make sure to do it right the first time. ;)

Last edited:
I would have the CTC "talk" to each PLC. That way you can still run one unit if the other is out of commission.
I don't remember the exact specs. but I believe DH+ @ 57.6, is good for over 4000 feet or so. Make sure you have the correct termination resistors.

Stupid follow-up question. :)... currently the remote slc has a panelview 1400e. That will stay as its local hmi (as far as I know at this time).. but can any of the screens/alarm tables be exported for the ctc?

I'm not familiar with the CTC units, but I have used the 1400e. The 1400e is a unique product, I have never been able to use anything from them with anything else, not even the standard PV's. So, I doubt the screens are exportable to a CTC.
But you never know. Perhaps someone with knowledge of both can clarify, or perhaps you could contact your local AB rep., someone there should know or be able to find out exactly what your options are.

Ken

No, the PV1400E app will not import into the CTC. You might be able to export the PV database to excel and import into the Parker stuff, but what I remember about the Parker, it seems like you had to modify the AB address structure somewhat for the CTC to like it.