Windows NT 4.0 Administrator Password

Sydney

To all

I have a NOS Allen Bradley 6180-FLIFHLHTHCZ industrial computer running Windows NT 4.0. When I started the unit I got to the Windows screen that asks for user name and password. I entered Administrator and left the Password empty thinking that it would let me log in but no luck. This is a brand new unit in original packaging with all the paper work but nothing that describes a Administrator password. Does anyone no what the default password could be or how to get around this issue. I have a customer that is interested in this unit but I can't sell until tested.

Sydney

Last edited:
With a BART PC CD you can reset the password. But not sure if they even sell that program anymore. Tech support may be able to help.

Boot it off a Linux floppy with NTFS Drivers, and change the password hash. Not a big deal. Just google it, but personally, I can't see any reason at all to deal with an NT class machine anymore.

Certain legacy managers refuse to upgrade, so they'd rather spend big bucks on keeping their old stuff running. There's money to be made on old machines. :D

We have a few Windows NT machines here that are now surplus, as we persuaded the management to upgrade....taken 5 1/2 years though since I arrived....even the last 2 DOS machines only went a year ago...

problem now is what to do with the old machines.....

problem now is what to do with the old machines.....

Phil4-300x198.png

If you have a boat, here's an option...

+1

Lots of Linux sys admin builds that you can download as a complete ISO, burn to CD/DVD, then boot from. Google and Youtube are your friend!

Boot it off a Linux floppy with NTFS Drivers, and change the password hash. Not a big deal. Just google it, but personally, I can't see any reason at all to deal with an NT class machine anymore.

Certain legacy managers refuse to upgrade, so they'd rather spend big bucks on keeping their old stuff running. There's money to be made on old machines. :D

Jeebs

You are so right, I have been selling legacy devices for a year or so. But testing is the biggest hurtle, and I won't sell anything I can't test.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Sydney

Windows NT has the password to automatically expire after x number of days unless you go into the system and tell it to not expire.
with a fresh install of nt, it's 42 days.
I would say that even though its fresh out of the box, the password expired.
you might go into the bios and backdate the pc.

james

NTpassword does can be allowed to unlock Windows password (Login password and admin password),but I think it's too complicated to use.
I like using Offline Windows Password Editor or free program.