PowerFlex 525 will not start thru Ethernet. Have a Ready signal in Controller Tags

Not quite Plastic,

I'll wager our friend is using the Embedded Ethernet/IP adapter module but even if they were using the add-on dual port 25-COMM-E2P adapter module...

Out-of-the-box the PowerFlex 525 has the following default parameters for control and reference of the drive -

P046 [Start Source 1] - 1 "Keypad"
P047 [Speed Reference 1] - 1 "Drive Pot"

So whether using the Embedded EtherNet/IP module or the add-on dual port 25-COMM-E2P adapter module, a user must set those parameters away from the defaults to the correct option for the chosen Ethernet adapter...

Embedded EtherNet/IP -
P046 [Start Source 1] - 5 "EtherNet/IP"
P047 [Speed Reference 1] - 15 "EtherNet/IP"

25-COMM-E2P -
P046 [Start Source 1] - 4 "Network Opt"
P047 [Speed Reference 1] - 4 "Network Opt"

Long story short, the Embedded Ethernet/IP port is not the default for those parameters.

Regards,
George

Pause between Stop/Start ???

It’s interesting to hear the talk about having a pause between release of stop command and initiating start command and vice versa. I have never done this in my ~20 years of controlling AB VFDs with AB PLCs. I still always program them with XIC “run conditions” OTE Start bit and the stop bit is XIO Start bit OTE Stop bit. I’ve done this with all flavors of AB VFDs: 160, 1305, 1336, PFlex7x, PFLEX 7xx, PFLEX 525, etc. With all flavors of AB PLCs: SLC5xx, PLC5, ContolLogix, CompactLogix, etc. With all flavors of communications: hard wired, DH485, DH+, DNET, CNET, ENET, etc. I’ve done thousands and thousands of VFDs this way and have never seen or heard of one not starting or stopping when commanded to.

I have had a couple of 525s come in with the Enable input dead. You spend countless hours mucking about with the parameters and then find an input that is factory bridged is stuffed.

Use the Ready and Active Bits

I use the "Ready" and "Active" bits to properly handshake with the drive.

XIO(Infeed.RunCMD) XIO(HMI.Curve_JogPB) XIC(VFD_Curve:I.Active) OTE(VFD_Curve:O.Stop) and

XIC(Infeed.RunCMD) XIC(VFD_Curve:I.Ready) OTE(VFD_Curve:O.Start) and

XIC(HMI.Curve_JogPB) XIC(VFD_Curve:I.Ready) OTE(VFD_Curve:O.Jog)

This creates oneshots of the commands to the drive. It is the transition that prompts the drive to react.

NOTE: If you use a Jog command, make sure that you include not Jog as a condition on your stop logic (as shown above).

This really hasn't changed since the days of DataHighway. If you send a command to your drive and it isn't ready for it, it doesn't care and will ignore. There must be clear handshakes of Ready and Active to make everything go smoothly. Without it, you will get scenarios where the drive was stopping (but not stopped) and it will ignore a command to start, for example.

Ahhh, yes, we got stuck on this.

The 525 has a single embedded Ethernet/IP port... But if you have installed a two-port DLR communication cart talking Ethernet/IP... You must set your start command and speed reference to OPTion.card and not Ethernet/ IP

After a few days of banging my head, I finally found this bit of information quoted above.

if using the ethernet adapter you must set P46 and P47 to 4, not 15.