Is there a standard for idle shut-off time?

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We refurbish various tube benders and end formers. Quite often they have a PLC output which, if the machine is idle with the hydraulic pump running but no motion happening, will switch off after a time and shut down the hydraulic pump. My boss was wondering if there was any sort of standard for what this idle time delay should be. We see various times on different machines, typically in the 2 to 15 minutes range. Does anyone have any insight?

I have done a couple of machines with hydraulics, and I have idle time logic if the cylinders are not moving for 10 minutes, however there is an "off" time cycle for some of the weekend recirc cycle times so I use a .TT bit from the off time timer to energize a pressure dump solenoid that removes all the pressure down to about 100 PSI during the Off time. The customer originally wanted me to start and stop the motor, but I convinced them that was too much wear and cycles on the contactor, this solenoid works well.

We refurbish various tube benders and end formers. Quite often they have a PLC output which, if the machine is idle with the hydraulic pump running but no motion happening, will switch off after a time and shut down the hydraulic pump. My boss was wondering if there was any sort of standard for what this idle time delay should be. We see various times on different machines, typically in the 2 to 15 minutes range. Does anyone have any insight?

I would say that the time delay should be determined by what the normal idle time while running is for the equipment in question. I doubt there's a "one size fits all" value for this function.