Rslogix5000 Firmware revision

Jay69

Hi All,
I have Rslogix 5000 version 16 installed on my computer. I tried to open a old project that was configured for revision 13.4 so when i try to open this old project with Rslogix 5000 it comes up and says i need to install support for firmware revision 13.4 or change the controller's revision in project. But if i try to change the controller revision i don't see revision 13 in the drop down. So what do i need to do ??? I thought when you install higher versionr you can open the older versions with it but it doesn't look like it ... So if someone could tell me what to do that would be great thanks....DO i need to install Rslogix 5000 revision 13 if i do that will i be able to open projects that configured for revision 16???

You can install multiple versions of RSLogix 5000, and it will automatically start the correct version for whatevr file you open. I think the answer to your last question is yes.

I refer to it as "installing support for". When you install RSLogix5000 you can choose what versions you wish to "install support for". If you choose to not "install support for" a revision (like rev 13) then when you encounter that revision the software tells you to either upgrade to a revision you have "installed support for" (like v16) or to update the controller's firmware. Here is where your problem arises.

The software will not allow you to revert a project to an earlier revision. You can always move to a newer revision, but you cannot go back. The reason usually cited is because there are features in the newer revisions that you might be using that are not available in an older version and this would make your project incompatible. So it is not allowed.

Now if your controller has no project already in it, then you can downgrade the firmware version to an earlier version. However, you don't see that as an option because you didn't "install support for" that revision.

You can launch the RSLogix5000 installation and then add those additional versions you wish to "install support for". After which your software will seamlessly switch versions depending upon the project you have opened.

You can also upgrade your controller to a newer firmware version. But I personally am a big fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school.

Hope that helps a little,

OG

I refer to it as "installing support for". When you install RSLogix5000 you can choose what versions you wish to "install support for". If you choose to not "install support for" a revision (like rev 13) then when you encounter that revision the software tells you to either upgrade to a revision you have "installed support for" (like v16) or to update the controller's firmware. Here is where your problem arises.

The software will not allow you to revert a project to an earlier revision. You can always move to a newer revision, but you cannot go back. The reason usually cited is because there are features in the newer revisions that you might be using that are not available in an older version and this would make your project incompatible. So it is not allowed.

Now if your controller has no project already in it, then you can downgrade the firmware version to an earlier version. However, you don't see that as an option because you didn't "install support for" that revision.

You can launch the RSLogix5000 installation and then add those additional versions you wish to "install support for". After which your software will seamlessly switch versions depending upon the project you have opened.

You can also upgrade your controller to a newer firmware version. But I personally am a big fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school.

Hope that helps a little,

OG

I have a 1756-L61S processor with version 17.08 firmware and RSLOGIX 5000 V16. I obviously couldn't go online because of the firmware version mismatch. I tried to install rslogix 5000 again as stated above to hopefully "install a support for" firmware 17.08. I went thru the rslogix 5000 setup, but nowhere can did I find an option that let me install support for firmware 17.08. Am I missing something?o_O

I have ver 19.??? and had the same problem with a l35e that was loaded with 13.4 I borrowed an older disc 18.?? and loaded it it gave me the option to load ever ver. prior to 18.?? and it worked. But i cant remember that option when i loaded ver 19.?? my disc is back at the office i will look when i get back. but would like to know. Steve

I may be wrong, but I don't think the web download intallations allow the "install support for previous versions", only the DVDs.

Someone will surely correct me if mistaken

The web downloads only include one version. The DVDs that are supplied when you initially purchase the software usually contains multiple versions.

Just a question out of curiosity. I don't know much about software payments since someone else handles all that in my company.
If you purchase RsLogix 5000 with firmware 16, can you get previous versions like firmware 13 for free ? Is there any policy for future firmwares ?

The previous versions usually comes on the DVD that you bought. Future versions depend on whether you have a tech connect contract.

Good day!
I encountered the same problem, only I'm using RSLogix 5000 ver. 17, and the controller's revision is 7.2. The DVD I have goes down only to rev. 10. Does anybody have a link to the 7.2 revision?
Thanks

You will have to get version 7 directly from RA Technical Support.

Prior to version 10, you could only have one version of RSLogix 5000 installed on a PC. This let to a lot of dual-boot and multiple hard-drive messes. I think RA got tired of explaining to people who had written over their version 10 through 20 installs, and just removed the download for v7 and earlier.

You will have to get version 7 directly from RA Technical Support.

Prior to version 10, you could only have one version of RSLogix 5000 installed on a PC. This let to a lot of dual-boot and multiple hard-drive messes. I think RA got tired of explaining to people who had written over their version 10 through 20 installs, and just removed the download for v7 and earlier.

Thanks. I'll contact the Tech Support. Perhaps they can give me the ver.7 for free, since I have the licence for the newer RSLogix edition.

Here's a work_around

I have a 1756-L61S processor with version 17.08 firmware and RSLOGIX 5000 V16. I obviously couldn't go online because of the firmware version mismatch. I tried to install rslogix 5000 again as stated above to hopefully "install a support for" firmware 17.08. I went thru the rslogix 5000 setup, but nowhere can did I find an option that let me install support for firmware 17.08. Am I missing something?o_O

Use the "ControlFLASH" utility... (I'm using version 6.00.06 as I type this)

First, back up your program, or print it out.
Launch ControlFLASH, select your processor and firmware versions.
Execute. (Pretty sure your loaded program will be wiped out).
Re-enter the program, (yeah, I know it's a big pain in the ***...)
Download your finished work...

~Tom