Help needed! Input card change

Mksands

Hello all,

I'm a Plant Electrician with very limited knowledge when I comes to PLCs. Our programmer had a bad accident and is unable to help. Before the accident he said the input card was bad and needed to be changed. He ordered an identical replacement card (Allen Bradley SLC 5/03- the card is an analog 1746-NI8). Can I simply power down the PLC, change the card and restore power?

The management has finally agreed to send me for PLC training; though the class they are willing to pay for doesn't start for 8 months. Any PLC tips are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Hi mike

I would power down the plc rack then remove the two screws that hold the connector block in ( you do not have to remove the wires only twI screws on he green block) then remove the card and insert the new one. Then connect the block back up and power up the plc again. Just take note of the LEDs on the from of the card before you power down I.e are they flashing or are they solid and also the color

Donnchadh

I belive as long as the card is the same part #, you should be able to simply power it completely down and change it out without any issue.

Some of the earliest cards did not have a removable terminal block. Depending on how old the card is you may encounter this. I think the NI8 came out later, so this is just a heads up. In the off chance the original card does not have a removable terminal block then you'll have to remove and reattach all the wires. In that event I would remove the terminal block from the new card, transfer the wires one at a time to the new terminal block, then R&R the card.

The 1746-NI8 module has a removable terminal block, so that makes replacing the module without disconnecting each wire very straightforward.

As you've already noted, the SLC must be powered off before removing or inserting modules The similar-form-factor ControlLogix doesn't.

The 1746-NI8 module has four selector switches on the side that allow you to connect analog circuits as voltage sensing or current sensing. Make sure to set those switches to be identical to the existing module.

The Installation Instructions for the module are here: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1746-in006_-en-p.pdf

The configuration and calibration of the module is all done in the SLC program, so there are no potentiometers to tweak or files to load to the module itself.

Hi

Ken I forgot about the switches it's been a couple of years now since I installed. New one or changed one out. So to ken :) :geek:

Just on that I can't ever remember replacing one because it was faulty.
By faulty do you mean a channel is not working and if you know which channel you could check the led status And look up the manual ken posted

Donnchadh