FactoryTalk View Application will not open after Laptop Reboot

Good Morning ,

I was working on a FactoryTalk ME project , and walked away and my laptop rebooted for updates. When I went to open the application I got the message below........

" Failed to open the FactoryTalk Private Directory for the application"

Has this ever happened to you guys , and if so what did you do to restore the appication ? I learned a lesson to create runtimes more often now.
I made alot of changes since my last runtime , so that is why I want to recover what I had.

Thanks so much.

Classic FactoryTalk

Try going into the applications directory, find the folder PrivateDirectory, delete it.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\"ProjectName"\PrivateDirectory

If you delete it, it will rebuild itself. If you are paranoid, which I wouldn't blame you, copy it somewhere else before you delete it. I just did it on an application for fun.

I honestly don't know what it's for. Pretty sure it just exists to make your life miserable :) (j/k of course)

I've been meaning to dip my toes into Ignition, just haven't had the time. I can't say I've heard anyone say anything bad about it.

You can download the entire gateway platform for $0 and play with it. The only restriction, is the gateway (primary server) only runs for two hours at a time. After two hours, you go to the gateway, and hit renew, and it gives another two hours.

I actually developed a few applications that way to replace FTView stuff before I went ahead and purchased it and started deploying actual applications.

That method certainly helps, when you can demonstrate the advantages to the people in charge of the money before spending it!