NOCTI Test question

russrmartin

My boss just gave some prospects the NOCTI test. One of the questions was something like this. When working with IC(integrated circuits?), which components are most likely to be susceptible to damage by static electricity? The options were CMOS, TTL, ECL? and BJT. Anyone know this. He has asked everyone in our plant engineering department without a certain answer.

Russ

First and foremost any of them could be susceptible to ESD, it just depends. In the past CMOS was the most susceptible of those mentioned but the advances in construction/design has eliminated a major portion of that susceptibility.

www.wikipedia.org offers an explanation for each device you mentioned, just enter the abbreviations and it will lead to each.

elevmike said:
Ron,

While your post is correct, the correct answer for the purposes of the test would be CMOS.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I know the answer "looked for" would be CMOS.
BUT
Like many of these type questions it is outdated, the construction/design of CMOS devices has made them no more susceptible to ESD than most other devices.

If it was a written test and those were the choices I would choose CMOS BUT if it was asked orally then I would state that in the past CMOS was the most susceptible but that today that it is not. As I mentioned any electronic component is susceptible to ESD depending on the situation.

You made yourself clear...I was just clarifying your already clear and correct response...

I'm just one of thoes guys who keeps polishing and polishing...so never mind me.