rs-linx

RY_Guthrie

we are trying to install rs-linx version 2.42 on a windows 7 64bit machine and it hung up on the install so we tried to run windows uninstall on the rs-linx we get the error "could not set the rsicompanydirid identifier installation failure [#14]" any idea what we are doing wrong?

You are trying to install a twenty years old utility on a modern Operating System.
The minimum RSLinx Classic revision supported on Win7 64-bit OSs is
If you really need Rev. 2.42, you will need to "create" a WinXP Guest virtual environment within the Win7 64-bit Host and install Linx Classic 2.42 within the XP virtual machine; Rockwell recommends VMware Workstation as the prefered OS virtualization platform.

Old version of rockwell automation in windows 64bit

Try VMWare workstation 7.0 or upper version in your windows7 64Bit. I bet it will work. I've had same problem ,it only way dude...

Yes, but how does he Uninstall the non-working, RSLinx Version 2.42 whose uninstall program is producing errors?

I think that I would use the Windows Register Editor (C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe for Windows XP but it is probably a different address for Win 7) to search for all cases of "RSLinx" and delete them. That should do the same as the RSLinx Uninstall program was supposed to do before it produced the error.

Let's be fair: RSLinx 2.42 was released in January 2004, making it only about 9 1/2 years old.

There are a handful of Knowledgebase documents that reference this error code, including articles 24022, 23056, and 22441.

An excerpt from 24022, which references the specific text of the error message:

Solution: Enter the Windows Registry and locate the following key:

(32-bit O/S)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Setup\Default\Common

(64-bit O/S)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\Setup\Default\Common

Check the following values. They should look as follows, so correct them if necessary:

Name Type Data
Company REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software

SharedSystem REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

If the Windows Registry appears correct, then verify the "path" variable in the Windows 'Environment Variables' includes the following:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

Clean-up/Removal Instructions for RSLinx 2.30 and Above

Lancie1 said:
I think that I would use the Windows Register Editor (C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe for Windows XP but it is probably a different address for Win 7) to search for all cases of "RSLinx" and delete them. That should do the same as the RSLinx Uninstall program was supposed to do before it produced the error.

That's never for the faint hearted! and never that simple.

Programs, unfortunately, don't install every folder/file and Registry entry with their program folder name, such as "RSLinx".
There are some files and Registry entries involved here that would need deleting, but don't have "RSLinx" in their name.

Note: For Ken's fix, any reference to "Program Files" in 64-bit OS is "Program Files (x86)".
Some of Rockwell's KB Article references are not fully updated with the newer Operating System paths.
--------------------------------------------------------
If that doesn't work, here's the official RSLinx removal procedure from Rockwell. Even after an uninstall has completed successfully it does no harm to run through this and verify your system is indeed clean of RSLinx.

They need to update this a bit as well. Not all steps refer to Windows 7 64-bit OS paths here either. I've highlighted the existing 64-bit paths and ones I've added in Green.

AB Knowledgebase said:
8384 - RSLinx Classic System Clean Up Procedures

Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 08/22/2000 03:34 PM
Last Updated: 06/04/2013 05:38 AM

Question

I'd like to clean up my RSLinx Classic system files. Any suggestions?
What should I do if RSLinx Classic will not uninstall completely?

Answer

Clean-up/Removal Instructions for RSLinx 2.30 and Above

In the following procedures, some steps:
  • May not be possible.
  • May not work correctly.
  • Something may just not be present.
If this is the case, IT'S OK. Just move on to the next step.
Also, remember that each install/uninstall is usually different. Don't expect the same procedure to work exactly the same every time. Sometimes a little thought or originality will help a great deal. Use this information as a GUIDELINE ONLY!

Potential Interference from Logix Clock Update Tool

If the Logix Clock Update tool is configured to startup on boot, it may hold onto some components of RSLinx, which may prevent a clean uninstall. If possible, please disable this, then reboot to uninstall RSLinx.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Rockwell Automation cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Standard Clean-up Procedure

1. From the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet, uninstall RSLinx Classic.

2. From the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet, uninstall whichever of the following Rockwell applications you may have installed:

• Software Harmony Runtime

Or

• Harmony Runtime 2

Please note that with a newer version of RSLinx Classic, neither will be present, in which case skip to step 3.

3. From Windows Explorer, carefully delete the directory shown below.

(32-bit O/S)
    X:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx directory

(64-bit O/S)
    X:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLinx directory

where X is the drive on which RSLinx is installed

DO NOT delete the entire X:\Program Files\Rockwell Software (64-bit X:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software) directory!

4. From Windows Explorer, carefully delete the files shown below.

(32-bit O/S)
    X:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\harmony.* files

(64-bit O/S)
    X:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\harmony.* files

where X is the drive on which RSLinx is installed

5. Run the Registry Editor by doing the following:
    1. Click Start->Run.
    2. In the dialog box, type regedit.

6. Create a backup copy of the registry as follows:
    1. Click Registry->Export.

2. Save the copy to a secure directory.
  7. Delete the following keys from the registry. Do not delete anything other than the ones specified below.

a. 32-bit OS - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

64-bit OS - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

b. 32-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Harmony

64-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Rockwell Software\Harmony

c. 32-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

64-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

d. 32-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\RSLinx.exe

64-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\RSLinx.exe

e. 32-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ {34540622-805E-4CC7-98CF-65A43E99CF4D}

64-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ {34540622-805E-4CC7-98CF-65A43E99CF4D}

64-bit OS also delete - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{34540622-805E-4CC7-98CF-65A43E99CF4D}

f. 32-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RSLinx ### (all versions listed)

64-bit OS - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RSLinx ### (all versions listed)

64 bit OS also delete - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RSLinx ###(all versions listed)

g. 32-bit OS - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{22604543E5087CC489FC564AE399FCD4}

64-bit OS - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{22604543E5087CC489FC564AE399FCD4}

h. 32-bit OS - HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

64-bit OS - HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

8. Reboot the system

NEVER DELETE

1. Anything out of the RSCommon folder other than the Harmony.* files.

Or

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Setup key on a Windows NT/2000/XP PC

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Rockwell Software\Setup key on a Windows 7 PC

G.

Excellent explanation ! :geek:

Any chance you want to come work for Tech Support ? We've got nice cubicles, and you're even allowed to cheer for the Packers !

So why doesn't the uninstaller do everything that Geospark has listed ? It's not an "uninstaller" if it doesn't remove everything, it's just a "disabler"

I am in the process of retiring some laptops, and rather than re-installing windows from scratch, I thought it would be ok to just uninstall all the software the new user will not need. I am now re-considering that notion.

Because it's an uninstaller from almost ten years ago, that was never intended to work in Windows 7, let alone Windows 7 x64.

I would wipe and reinstall for any computer I was retiring. My home Linux box is finally getting a format and refresh to Ubuntu 12 this weekend. Apt-get update, my ***.

@ Ken

hmm...a cubicle sounds a bit claustraphobic? :oops:

Now my own office with a view and big screen TV so I could shout at the packers would certainly be tempting! :🍺

@ daba

If you read the opening post again you'll notice that the first error occured during the install. It hung is all we know. So we don't exactly know what went wrong and at what stage in the installation. So we also don't know how much was installed.

The attempted uninstall threw up the "rsicompanydirid...." error. Now Ken's suggested fix should hopefully get the uninstall back on track, but it may only get the OP as far as the next possible error.

So just in case, I've provided the last resort of manually removing it from the system. But, even if it says it's complete, it's still a good idea to use that guide to double check the uninstall did actually remove everything it should have. Especially when you know the install was not sucessful.

I'd also recommend you wipe the laptops and start fresh. Programming laptop usually are awash with remnants of all sorts of software even after you've "uninstalled" everything. Uninstallers are far from perfect. System restore points are another way to go but they're space hogs.

Another reason VMware is so useful. Just delete the VM's when your done with them.
(Don't look in your Registry if you have lots of VM's running :eek:)

@RY_Guthrie
I also wanted to add that while I'm happy to help with removing such an old version of RSLinx, I'm definitely not going to help with trying to re-install it in Win 7 64-bit!

RSLinx v2.57 is the minimum you should be trying to install in any 64-bit OS.
But I'd recommend v2.59, as it's the latest version you can use before climbing the EDS compatibility mountain! :rolleyes:

G.

There are some files and Registry entries involved here that would need deleting, but don't have "RSLinx" in their name.
You don't need to do this precedure if the normal program Uninstall will do its job.

When it doesn't, the way I handle cases where there are other files that have no cases of the search term, is when Registry Editor finds the search term, I look upstream for one or two levels and see if the higher file level pertains to the program in question. If it does, I delete the entire file folders. I do that for each find, until I am satisfied that I have got all the relvent files, regardless of the names. That prodedure has always worked. Sometimes I verfiy by searching for other terms, just to see if all the bits and pieces have been removed.