Acquiring minimal Siemens software + license setup

Still requires registration, which appears to go through local distributor in US. Maybe I should try another country?

I think there was that export restriction thingie that required verification of the information you provided but it shouldn't involve a distributor approving you or anything like that. That would be disgusting.

When downloading software they need a bit more information.
This is because software is under restrictions from being sent to certain countries. These restrictions are due to US requirements, not Siemens btw.

So when you register the first time, Siemens takes one or two days to verify that your information checks out. After that you can download whatever you want.

Follow-up:

I eventually found a V11 floating license on a USB stick plus DVDs on eBay for $75. There seemed to be similar packages available for a bit more. I assume I will need to get registered at Siemens at some point to get updates (not upgrades) and drivers.

So $275 total, plus an ethernet cable, a Win7 VM, and my time.

Sorry about the whining.

These restrictions are due to US requirements, not Siemens btw.
Maybe, but they wouldn't be the only country if it's not Siemens driven, I get the same thing downloading from Canada. Not that it's a big deal, I'd prefer Siemens not sell software to maniacs. But...99% of Siemens software is available outside Siemens control, so it's a legal thing anyway, not a practical exercise.

I got a starter kit with a S7-1200 PLC and a 4" HMI with the Software for about $500 from my distributor. If you cant get any help locally PM me and I will give you my Distributor's number.

I have the same kit, same price, through my local distributor.

They did need a bunch of info for the registration - Name, address, email, phone number, etc.

FYI - you can't transfer a license that I'm aware of - or it is very difficult. Ran into that situation where we had a vendor do some Siemens work because we didn't want to touch it. My company paid for the software, but we gave them the vendor's email because he was doing the work. After a while and we were no longer using the vendor, we couldn't use the software because it was linked to his email. If you do register, be careful what email / name you use!

Follow-up:

I eventually found a V11 floating license on a USB stick plus DVDs on eBay for $75. There seemed to be similar packages available for a bit more. I assume I will need to get registered at Siemens at some point to get updates (not upgrades) and drivers.

So $275 total, plus an ethernet cable, a Win7 VM, and my time.

Sorry about the whining.

That's old old
You will be disappointed and wasting money
At least get V15 version

Maybe, but they wouldn't be the only country if it's not Siemens driven, I get the same thing downloading from Canada. Not that it's a big deal, I'd prefer Siemens not sell software to maniacs. But...99% of Siemens software is available outside Siemens control, so it's a legal thing anyway, not a practical exercise.

If you want to do business in the US, you have to follow the US rules, sadly. Even if the software is publicly available, THEY could get in trouble for giving it to terrorists unless they check each and every one.

It's kind of like websites verifying that you're over 13 or 18 or whatever. Sure, there are ways to get around it, but the lawyer says your butt is covered.

FYI - you can't transfer a license that I'm aware of - or it is very difficult. Ran into that situation where we had a vendor do some Siemens work because we didn't want to touch it. My company paid for the software, but we gave them the vendor's email because he was doing the work. After a while and we were no longer using the vendor, we couldn't use the software because it was linked to his email. If you do register, be careful what email / name you use!

Most licenses can be moved around via either USB stick or over the network. Only in very rare/old cases (like v10.5-V11 Basic) are the licenses not transferable. Heck, legally I think you can even resell them!

You're absolutely right, though, that when you order a downloadable license, the email you provide has to be correct, or else you run into problems. However, once you finally get your hands on the licenses, you can usually move them around to your heart's content.