Tabs vs Spaces?

Do you like spaces

• Total voters
I like pull tabs on my beer cans. I like wide, open spaces out West for horseback riding. And who says that the spoons and forks shouldn't mingle - sounds a bit discriminatory to me!

And who says that the spoons and forks shouldn't mingle - sounds a bit discriminatory to me!

Spoons and forks are great, otherwise we would never have the spork. Spoons and knives were what was being discussed in the poll. Only a madman would mix spoons and knives!

All you people mixing your cutlery are playing a dangerous game...

forks_and_spoons.png

Apologies to xkcd

1 Tab = 9 (or 11;-) and therefore evil.

I won't be happy until I can write a LD with VI.

Stop spinning me up, doggone it!

I won't be happy until I can write a LD with VI.

I don't see why you couldn't. This is from an older PILZ model that handles the safeties on one of our presses. The only way I am able to view the program is by printing the FB to a text file. They give you the option of LAD or STL.

Code:
│ = STRT    = Enbl                                                     M  097.00
│                                                                               
└───┤ ├───────┤ ├─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(=)──┤

│ = STOP    = Enbl                                                     M  097.01
│                                                                               
└───┤ ├───────┤ ├─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(=)──┤

│ = TDC                                                                M  097.02
│                                                                               
└───┤ ├───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(=)──┤

Just for fun I opened the text file in VIM, it looks quite nice.

I use VIM instead of Vi. I use to use VI a lot a long time ago but I didn't like having to switch back and forth between the modes.

It should be possible to enter LD using text like Rockwell does.

I use 8 space tabs for word processing and assembly language programming and 4 space tabs for C and C++. I use 4 spaces for python and 2 or 4 spaces for ST.
Memory use to be a problem a long time ago but now it is cheap so tabs aren't as necessary.

I haven't done assembly language programming for a long time now.

I use VIM too, I only wrote "VI" generically. I usually install VIM on my systems when I get tired of having only one undo level, and the command is still [vi].

Interesting about exporting the LD as text. Can you also import it? Otherwise I still cannot usefully write (i.e. do more than view) LDs with VI. What is the key sequence to enter any non-ASCII characters, Control-V something (I am not a power-VI guy)?

oh yeah, 2 spaces for indentation in any context: memory is cheap but horizontal screen space is not; and usually I fold anything that goes beyond column 72.

Stop spinning me up!

Last edited: