Acquiring minimal Siemens software + license setup

drbitboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
The Query

Where and how can I get a license to do minimal programming on a Siemens 1214, and can it be acquired for a few hundred US$ or less?

Background

I am about to start experimenting with Siemens with guidance from my brother, hoping to follow a minimal path similar to my [used MicroLogix 1100/RSLogix Micro Starter Lite] setup (under $400 in parts and software).

I have a 1214(C?) on the way from eBay for ~$200.

I have a USB-RS232 thingy and am comfortable making cables (RS232, Cat5/RJ45, whatever) if needed.

I have a Linux laptop with a Win10 VM in VirtualBox that runs RSLlite; I also have a Win10 tower.

From what I can gather I need a license for something like [Step 7 Basic] or maybe something with [TIA] in the name. But I've looked around briefly and nothing stands out and says "Buy and download here."

I understand why the video game gypsy companies are going to be at the leading edge, but I would expect a business like Siemens to at least be in the same millennium. Does everything go through distributors?

Call your local distributor

Go with a Starter kit
Its software, cable and plc with simulator switches- see below

You probably wasted some money on FleaBay

starterkit.jpg

I got as far as here, because the licensing link required a registration, which I don't have. so when I clicked [Yes, I would like to register now] it sent me to a "Choose country" page and got me there, which has no option to self-register that I can see.

This is pathetic.

You need Step 7 Basic V16, which is part of the TIA Portal suite. It comes with WinCC Basic, which allows you to program the Basic HMI panels from Siemens as well. It also has a PLC SImulator built in, so you can do a lot of testing before you actually need to download to the real PLC. There is free tech support if you call the hotline or submit a case at the website, but I've heard of them asking for payment if they feel you're abusing the system.

It has Ethernet built in, so you won't need to worry about any messy RS232 cables. Win10 will definitely be required, but VM is fine.

Yes, Siemens is largely sold through distribution, at least in the US. The target market is industrial companies who buy a bunch of circuit breakers and other stuff, so the model mostly makes sense. You technically can buy from generic national/global companies like Allied, but at higher than list price. Your local regional distributor will probably have better pricing available, even for a one off purchase.

The Siemens distributor search website lead me to AAI as the local company in Rochester.

https://new.siemens.com/us/en/company/distributorlocator.html
http://www.aainy.com/industrial-automation-systems-distribution.html#products?lc=en-US

Take a look at the lab modules below for a guided tutorial of the basics:

https://new.siemens.com/global/en/c...documents/concept-and-module-description.html

I got as far as here, because the licensing link required a registration, which I don't have. so when I clicked [Yes, I would like to register now] it sent me to a "Choose country" page and got me there, which has no option to self-register that I can see.

This is pathetic.

Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the US you can't buy direct, you have to go through distribution. There's reasons, I'm sure, but it sure doesn't make it easy for the small buyer.

Call your local distributor

Go with a Starter kit
Its software, cable and plc with simulator switches- see below

You probably wasted some money on FleaBay

Local distributor did not pick up the phone.

Prices of order 1e3 US$ for a starter kit? Are they joking? And I'm not an infant in a crib who needs to be entertained, so I don't need their bloody switches.

I suppose there is not much profit to be had from someone "experimenting;" perhaps their business model is designed around larger clients.

And I thought A-B was the most expensive way ...

I got a starter kit with a S7-1200 PLC and a 4" HMI with the Software for about $500 from my distributor. If you cant get any help locally PM me and I will give you my Distributor's number.