Connect to PLC´s over Internet.

jthyge

Hello

During the current Corona isolation, i need to connect to different PLC´s.
The PLC are currently connected in a LAN network, located at my fellow students house.

How can i connect to the PLC´s, over the internet?

You need to setup a VPN connection from your friends home to your home.

There are many ways to do it.
If you have Teamviewer you can use the guide I posted in the downloads section.

This forum does not seem to allow too much product discussion (except for TeamViewer, Allen Bradley, Siemens and so on) so I’ll try to tread lightly.

VPN and TeamViewer requires the PLCs to be configured properly with the gateway address. If not, there is no way for the PLC to connect outside the local network. Plus, TeamViewer is supposed to be purchased when it’s not used for personal purposes.

Google PLC Remote.

This forum does not seem to allow too much product discussion (except for TeamViewer, Allen Bradley, Siemens and so on) so I’ll try to tread lightly.

There's a common brand that had an overzealous distributor spamming the board (I assume years ago), so it gets blanked out whenever they're name gets posted. There are a couple common workarounds people use to discuss it (spaces between the letters, etc).

Besides that, the only discussion I see cracked down on is discussion of how to circumvent copyright protections or licensing schemes, which is more or less illegal in the US (where I assume the site is hosted).

VPN into the local network. Best is to have the host router handle the VPN server duties. I've set up similar at locations so I can tie back in from remote locations and go online with the PLC or update the HMI pc. You'll need to look into how to set it up on the host router. Not all routers can do it mind you. I put some netgear Prosafe gear in place or similar corp grade hardware that can do the job.

Last week I made use of JesperMP's excellent tutorial again.

Sure enough, the remote computer was connected to a network whose PLC's weren't configured correctly with a Default Gateway Address, so I couldn't access them via VPN and IP routing.

I had my colleague download RSLinx Lite and install it, so the Remote Desktop feature of TeamViewer allowed me to connect to the PLC and change its Default Gateway address setting from the local LAN.

It was gratifying to see the PLC appear in my RSLinx Ethernet Devices browse once the Default Gateway was corrected to point to the TeamViewer PC's LAN address.

There's a common brand that had an overzealous distributor spamming the board (I assume years ago), so it gets blanked out whenever they're name gets posted. There are a couple common workarounds people use to discuss it (spaces between the letters, etc).
Is that why e W o n is filtered? I was wondering...

(****) (****) (****) :rolleyes: