CompactLogix & Turck IO (Ethernet)

jnblackwood

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings! Long time forum lurker, recent lifetime supporter, 1st time poster.
Scenario

Main Enclosure: 1769-L35E CompactLogix running several local stations, and connected to a 16-port unmanaged switch to communicate with a pc database. IP address of CompactLogix is 192.168.20.100. All is well with the operations and Ethernet communications here.

New Substation Enclosure: Turck BL20-E-GW-EN with 4 Turck I/O Modules (8 channel analog input, two 16-pt digital outputs, 16-point digital input). IP address of Turck gateway module is 192.168.20.105, and plugged into the same 16-port switch as the PLC processor. I have used Pactware & IO Assistant to configure the gateway’s IP address and the analog module’s scale. The digital modules didn’t require configuration. All the LED’s are nice and green. (The MS light is green, but flashes.)
I just purchased the Turck modules about 3 weeks ago, in case that makes any difference.
In RSLogix5000, I have modified the PLC program to add a new module in the Ethernet section, following the instructions in a Turck instruction manual I located: I added a Generic Ethernet Module, designated the 192.168.20.105 IP address, set the Comms Format to “Data-INT”, the Input Instance to 101 with size 128, the Output Instance to 102 with size 128, the Configuration Instance to 1 with size 0, and the RPI to 10ms.

I expect to see data appearing in the tags associated with the Turck when online with the CompactLogix PLC.

Situation
The IO LED on the CompactLogix processor is flashing green, the is a warning symbol by the module entry in the module configuration area, and the error on the Comms tab on the module properties says there is a timeout.

Plugging my laptop into the switch, I can ping the Turck gateway at 192.168.20.105 and the PLC at 192.168.20.100. So I don’t think there’s a bad cable or switch.
I believe something is amiss with either the configuration of the BL20-E-GW-EN, or the CompactLogix configuration of the module. One thing I considered was that perhaps the BL20-E-GW-EN might not work, and that I might actually require a BL20-E-GW-EN/IP. I know the earlier -EN’s were only Ethernet MODBUS (which CompactLogix doesn’t use natively), and that –EN/IP’s were Ethernet/IP (which CompactLogix does use), but I called Turck and they say that all their recent –EN’s (last 6 months or so) use IP as well. One tech guy (that didn’t sound very confident) suggested that I should make the Instance size match the Pactware station fieldbus report (11input words, 2 output words) instead of what the manual states. I haven’t gotten back to the factory to try this yet, but I’m skeptical of this.

I'm hoping there will be someone here experienced with Allen-Bradley/Turck communications. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!!!
~James

Last edited:
I don't have Turck experience but I've connected a lot of generic EtherNet/IP devices.

First, let's check the actual error code. Open the Connection tab in RSLogix 5000 and see if you can watch for a hexadecimal error code like 0x203 or 0x204.

Next, download Eli Fulkerson's excellent utility called TCPing. It's a command-line program that lets you check TCP connectivity to a specific TCP Port number. Save the program, use the Command Line window to navigate to the folder containing TCPING.EXE, and type:

TCPing 192.168.20.105 502

then try

TCPing 192.168.20.105 44818

TCP port 502 is Modbus/TCP, while port 44818 is Rockwell's EtherNet/IP protocol.

If the EtherNet/IP port is open, then we can get into I/O size experimentation or analysis.

Ken:

Thank you! I used TCPing and it revealled that my concern was correct: the module only supports Modbus. So, just need to trade it in for the IP version.

~James