Upgrading to Windows 7 Professional for WinnCC software

Timeismoney08

Does anyone know of a easy (cheap) way of installing windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate?

I need it to install my WinnCC software.

Or do you know a way to trick WinnCC into letting me install it anyways?

I know with Step 7, it wouldn't let me install it, it popped up and said you have to have windows Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate. I kept pressing "X" out of frustration, and it started the install after a dozen presses.

What about the possibility of a Virtual Machine?
It may be a little more work to get it going but if a cheap soloution is what you are looking for...
You can probably download an older version of workstation somewhere on the internet.

I don't know about using the XP Mode on your windows 7 environment. I am not sure weather or not it will still act as if you are running WIN7 HOME. Worth a try?

Ahhh. I see
I guess you could do what I did , go to Best Buy and buy it
What other recourse is there?

Yea, that's no fun. Might end up becoming my solution though.

What about the possibility of a Virtual Machine?
It may be a little more work to get it going but if a cheap soloution is what you are looking for...
You can probably download an older version of workstation somewhere on the internet.

I don't know about using the XP Mode on your windows 7 environment. I am not sure weather or not it will still act as if you are running WIN7 HOME. Worth a try?

Maybe, but I thought you still needed the install to use a VM.

Gotta have at least Win7 Pro to use XP Mode.

Alternatives are using VMWare Player or VirtualBox to host your XP install.

Note: I linked to v5 of VMWare Player. V6 has now gone to VMWare Player Plus-- which, from my reading, is still free, but has nags to try to get you to purchase.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you'd still need a licensed copy of XP. Sorry 'bout that. But you can get new/sealed versions of XP on ebay. Some, like this one, give all proceeds to charity.

EDITED EDIT TO COVER PREVIOUS EDITS THAT I FORGOT TO EDIT: If you decide to go with Win7 Pro (something like $139, IIRC), then you get a complimentary XP license to use with XP Mode. Looks like you wouldn't need it for WinCC, but between the two (Win7 Pro and XP Mode), that should cover quite a bit of legacy stuff.

Last edited:
There are always tweaks and methods available in order to be able to run it. It's just not really supported...