Ethernet help on PanelView Plus to PC communications

Hi,

I am trying to set up the ethernet communications from my PC to a PanelView Plus 1000. I have installed RSView Studio, and all components. But, I am not experienced with ethernet protocols, I have always used DF1 and other serial connections on SLC 500's, panelviews, etc. Can anyone guide me through the process? I have been using RS linx CLassic initially to see if I can see the PV as a node, no luck. Using the file transfer utility I do not see the PV either, just an enternally browsing ethernet driver. I am missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve G in Sacramento

Welcome Steve,

The first key is making sure that your PC and the PV+ can even see each other over the ethernet network. Forget about RSLinx for the time being.

We need to know what IP address and subnet mask your computer is using and then what the PV+ is using.

Also, how are you connecting them together. Are you going through a switch or connecting directly from the PC to the PV+?

OG

Thanks for the quick reply! Under the Properties of my LAN connection, and then properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), the "Obtain an IP address automatically" selection is activated, and therefore no IP address or subnet mask is shown. I assume this is because I use this laptop to get on the company network as well. I am connecting my laptop ethernet connection to the PV+ directly using a crossover cable (1 to 3, 2 to 6, etc). I do have the IP address to the PV+ written down as well. What comlicated things for me initially was that I made program mod's to a runtime file using studio that I extracted from an OEM archived file. When I went to get online with the PV+, using a serial connection initially because that is how the PV+ is connected to the Micrologix PLC in use on the equipment, and having no success with this, I found that the original programmer had not included a button to access configuration mode on the PV+, and the selection for running the program on startup is evidently set as well because this is what happens. So, here I am. Does this information help?

Thanks,

Steve Goldsworth

Yep it helps and it partly explains the problem.

Your computer is configured to get an IP address automatically from your company network. But you aren't connected to your network. So your computer does not have an address and can't talk to anyone really.

What you will need to do is to go back into the those settings and change it to use a specific address. If you are using Windows XP then you can use the Alternate Configuration option. This means you can keep the "Obtain an IP Address automatically" option so that when you plug into the network you will get an address from your corporate network. The alternate connection is a sort of fallback option. If the first option doesn't work, then it can fall back to the alternate. Note though that this takes a minute or two before the alternate kicks in.

If you are using Win2000 then you will need to change the setting as there is no alternate setting in Win2000.

Let me know if you need more assistance!

OG

I am using XP Pro. So, I would enter the "actual" IP address of my computer in the alternate configuration? What is a quick way to figure out what the IP of my laptop is (sorry for the simplicity of the question)? What about the subnet mask, could you school me quickly on what that is and its function? Also, I assume I want the IP address of the PV+ to be entered under the config of the ethernet driver when I set it up in linx, is that correct also? Thanks.

Steve G

stevedgoldsworth said:
I am using XP Pro. So, I would enter the "actual" IP address of my computer in the alternate configuration? What is a quick way to figure out what the IP of my laptop is (sorry for the simplicity of the question)? What about the subnet mask, could you school me quickly on what that is and its function? Also, I assume I want the IP address of the PV+ to be entered under the config of the ethernet driver when I set it up in linx, is that correct also? Thanks.

Steve G

Start-Run-CMD-IPCONFIG
This will show you your IP Address.

Your computer doesn't have an actual IP address. An IP address is assigned. That is either done automatically or you manually choose an address (or your IT department tells you what address to use). In your case, you will be manually assigning an address.

Let's just say that your PanelView is configured as: 192.168.0.10. Then you will want to configure your computer as 192.168.0.X. Replace the "X" with any number from 1-255 but not the one that the PV+ is using. So anything but "10".

Without going into a great deal of detail. You will probably want your PV+ and your computer configured with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This means that both devices can talk with other devices as long as their address also starts with 192.168.0.

Once you get your computer configured then do the following to test the settings.

To verify your computer's IP address, click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt. You can also Click Start-Run and type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter.

This opens a DOS prompt. From the DOS prompt,type the following without the quotes: "ipconfig" then hit enter. This displays your computers IP address and subnet mask settings.

More to follow..........

OG

Once you have verified that your computer has a properly assigned IP address and subnet mask, then you are ready to test to see if your computer can see the PV+. You will also do this from the Command Prompt. Like I said, forget RSLinx for the time being.

Open the Command Prompt and type "ping 192.168.0.10" without the quotes. Replace the address I entered above with the actual address of your PV+.

If you get (4) "Reply from" messages then comms are successful and RSLinx should work. If you get "No Reply" messages, then we are not configured properly.

Let's see how that works!

OG

I will give it a try. Thank you so much for your help, greatly appreciated. If I am not successful, I'll post my questions/results, and hopefully you or somebody as helpful reponds!

Thanks,

Steve Goldsworth

Steve,
Here is some of my suggestion, you mention that you uploaded the *.mer Program of the PV+ (via DF1), There's no way you can open that program, except if you have the deveploment program. Now for you to view the IP Address of the panel View Plus you need to go to the Configuration mode. But since no button was been made for you to go to the Config. mode.you have to re download the *.Mer program But Remember you have to UNCHECKed the " Run application when downloaded completes. after doing that, power down and power up the PV+, and you will be able to go to the config. mode.