PowerFlex 523 upload error with Studio 5000 v32.02

forqnc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I am having issues with Studio 5000 v32.02 and connecting to a 523 PowerFlex drive via Ethernet.
My network consists of a 5380 CompactLogix 5069-L306ER connected via an unmanaged switch to 2 PowerFlex drives.
A 525 with embedded Ethernet and the 523 using a 25-COMM_E2P ethernet card.
I can connect to the 525 through Studio Ok, but I get an error when trying to connect to the 523. It shows the 523 in the popup window but fails to upload. See attached.
RSLinx Classic can see the 523 and CCW software can connect to it, just not Studio 5000.
I did go to Rockwell's site and download the latest AOP still no luck.
There is a lot of information out there for the 525, but not a lot for the 523.
Any assistance is appreciated.

2023-03-03 08_51_19-Logix Designer - Upgrade_3965 [5069-L306ER 32.12].png 2023-03-03 08_52_38-Logix Designer - Upgrade_3965 [5069-L306ER 32.12].png

Can you browse below the 523 adapter?

Not sure what you mean.
In all my communication tree's there is no indication to expand further than the drive itself.

Update since posting OP.
I was successful in clearing the green flashing I/O ok Led.
I deleted the 523 from the project, downloaded, then used the Discover modules option. It found it as a Multi-Drive 25-COMM-E2P.
But even doing this when I try to connect I get another error, see attached.

2023-03-03 12_41_21-Logix Designer - Upgrade_3965 [5069-L306ER 32.12].png

Try using CCW to check your VFD's
Perhaps read the original post more closely, this was addressed:
RSLinx Classic can see the 523 and CCW software can connect to it, just not Studio 5000.

EDIT: What AOP were you using (the first time)? I would expect the correct one to be 'Powerflex 523-E2P', whereas it looks like you are using one for the adapter itself rather than the drive.

Last edited:
Perhaps read the original post more closely, this was addressed:

EDIT: What AOP were you using (the first time)? I would expect the correct one to be 'Powerflex 523-E2P', whereas it looks like you are using one for the adapter itself rather than the drive.

Sorry...(y)

Just a follow up for any future viewers with issues.
I was able to solve this by deleting the problem drive from the program, downloading then once online use the discover modules.
Found the module as a Multi-Drive-25-COMM-E2P.
Then jumped through a couple of hoops to set the IP addresses correctly.
But it's working now.

I've had something similar, where I was trying to use FactoryTalk Linx to communicate.

Changed to RSLinx classic and the problem went away.

Cheers

Mark

Just a follow up for any future viewers with issues.
I was able to solve this by deleting the problem drive from the program, downloading then once online use the discover modules.
Found the module as a Multi-Drive-25-COMM-E2P.
Then jumped through a couple of hoops to set the IP addresses correctly.
But it's working now.
Im having an issue where I can't see the drive anywhere on the network. How did you configure the IP address on it? Ive tried setting the network parameters, the node switches on the back, and BOOTP to no avail.

Starting page 27 you will find how to set the IP address
Setting an IP Address Using Parameters
1: Verify that the Node Address switches are set to any value other than 001...254 or 888. The default setting is 999.
2: Set the value of Device parameter 04 [Net Addr Sel] to 1“Parameters”.
3: Reset the adapter by cycling power to the drive or by using Device parameter 22 [Reset Module].
4: Set the value of Device parameters 06 [IP Addr Cfg 1] through 09 [IP Addr Cfg 4] to a unique IP address.
5: Set the value of Device parameters 10 [Subnet Cfg 1] through 13 [Subnet Cfg 4]
6: Reset the adapter by cycling power to the drive or by using Device parameter 22 [Reset Module].

@forqnc @tarik1978 thanks for the insights. Turns out the 25-comm-E2P module was dead on arrival, and wasn't able to have the IP configured on it through any capacity. Also, the only way to take the config file from the drive was to use Windows 7, oddly. All together, turned out to be a fiasco to handle so upgraded to a 525 to relieve the situation.