Lincoln Welder into Kepware

timryder

Trying to integration Dozens of Lincoln Powerwave S500 welders into our I4.0 network, ultimately into Kepware. Does anyone have a proven solution to do this? I have some ideas for hacking it in, but if there is a cleaner foolproof way i would love for someone to share it?

Looking to measure, Voltage, Current, Arc Time and eventually wire feed totals.

Appreciate your input

That's one of the things I was hoping someone else here knew. All I can find is their cloud based solution that they want to sell you on. I was looking for a community one or some knowledge that could be shared.

I have connected lots of assets with OPC-UA, EtherNet/IP, Modbus etc. but not these welders before.

The one time I can recall being tasked with extracting wire feed data from a Lincoln (not sure what model), I ended up using the system variables in the Fanuc weld robot rather than trying to connect directly to the welder.
All I can find is their cloud based solution that they want to sell you on.
Yeah, I remember they really pushed it.

If it gets out to the cloud, there is a way... but probably would be a lot like the solar companies though and they wont give you the protocol.
Put Wireshark on the ethernet port and poke around. Maybe there is a webpage you can use a curl script to scrape.

Yeah I am sure there is a way too... just was hoping someone else had done the leg work. I am super short on time these days.

My guess is that it's TCP Modbus, the trick will be knowing what the register assignments are. You can search online and there are some modbus memory map for other welders made by them. You can always use a simple modbus client to see what you can see, if anything.

Default protocol seems to be ArcLink XT on udp 4323 from what I can gather.

But there seems to be support for other protocols as well, maybe not at the same time though. I would look at how the robot controller is setup to control the welding power supply.

Other protocols I found that Lincoln has on some models are arclink, devicenet, mqtt and over serial, ethernet, wifi and bluetooth.
I think you need to contact them to see what protocols are available on the ones you have.

Last edited: