Npn&pnp

NPN and PNP are types of transistors that are used in electronic circuits to amplify signals, switch circuits on and off, and drive motors. To understand how these transistors work, you need to know that an NPN transistor has three parts called the base, collector, and emitter, and a PNP transistor has three parts called the base, emitter, and collector.

Both NPN and PNP transistors have a part called the base-emitter junction that works like a switch. When you apply a small voltage to the base of an NPN transistor, it turns the transistor "on," allowing a bigger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, and letting electricity flow through a circuit. In contrast, when you apply a small voltage to the base of a PNP transistor, it turns the transistor "on," allowing a bigger current to flow from the emitter to the collector, and letting electricity flow through a circuit.

NPN signals are commonly used for low-side switching, and PNP signals are used for high-side switching. When using either of these transistors, the voltage levels and current flows are opposite for the base-emitter and collector-emitter junctions. Transistors work in the active region where the collector-emitter voltage is high enough to allow current to flow through the circuit.