Wifi to Ethernet for HMI Panel

mikeexplorer

Supporting Member
My PLC project I have been working on for a few years now has a new home. It is a Micrologix 1400 and I have a C-more Micro 6 inch panel installed.

I integrated this with my home network successfully. I also have a C-More micro 4 inch panel which I mounted in a small enclosure. It would be neat to be able to use this panel for my project as well. the PLC and HMI panels have static IP addresses reserved from my router. Would a wifi to Ethernet converter work?

Mike

I decided to take a chance and I ordered a Vonets VAP11G-300 wifi converter / bridge. I am also going to add the ability for it to run on battery power. Worse case, I wasted $30 for the converter. The batteries I can use elsewhere.

The main thing you need to watch out for is the ability to separate the Routing part from the wifi part. Many consumer grade products do both, and you can't turn it off. If yours is sold as a bridge, that sounds promising!

I have a home system comprising of 4 SLC's and a ML1400. The main SLC running the show is a 5/05 that messages all the others - the 5/03's and 5/04 use NET-ENI's.

I have a desktop running a 'full' HMI with AdvancedHMI, a Windows tablet running a much smaller AHMI and a C-More EA7 HMI in my den. [It's a den, not a home office]

The tablet HMI is connected to the network by WiFi and has no problem communicating with any of the PLC's. The C-more I can connect to with a phone app over WiFi.

I do have a CLX rack less a CPU I plan on replacing the 5/05 with but CPU prices have gotten ridiculous lately. Last year I could have got a -L72 for $1,200 and now that I can budget it the best price I can find is $2,600 - so it stays a SLC.

My (now) home setup is a Micrologix 1400 that controls a model railroad layout. I built this several years ago as a means to learn how to do PLC programming. I got stuck a few times and people here were very helpful. Rather then just rip it up I decided to make it an around the ceiling layout. I already had such a layout I built several years ago so I transferred it since I invested a lot of time and money into this project it now has a permanent home. It is not 100% up and running yet, I have some wiring issues on one side I have to fix, but otherwise most of it is working.

I integrated into my home network by reserving a few IP addresses in my router. I moved my copy of RSlogix Micro to my main computer so now I can make code changes and such without plugging into the PLC controls. The project uses a 6 inch panel, but I had a smaller 4 inch panel that I used early on for training and it also has an Ethernet port so I thought If I could make use of this it would be cool.

When the parts arrive, I will see if this works.

Mike

I had success in doing this. The Cmore panel can operate with 12-24V so I used 4 18650 batteries (14.7 volts) and the Vonets bridge allows for 5-15 volts. I put a voltage regulator inside for the Vonets in the event I use an external 24 volt supply to keep it within range.

Now I can use this panel to monitor my model train project from anywhere in my house. cool!

0325231609 (Medium).jpg 0325231609a (Medium).jpg 0325231609b (Medium).jpg 0325231609c (Medium).jpg