RedLion Graphite MODBUS RTU (RS 485) no Comms

M0Dark

Been trying for a while to get a flowmeter with Modbus RS485 comms to talk to my Redlion Graphite HMI.
Cable has been checked 3 times all good, using pins 1 & 8 of the RS 485 (RJ45) connector and plugged into the RS485 socket on the Redlion. 1 and 7 are internally linked, as are 2 and 8. I have checked that there is no short from either 1 to 2 or from 8 to 7.
Socket on the Redlion has green light flashing, but no red light which I am assuming means that it is not detecting any slave. The Redlion manual give no information on this state. It just says: When the wiring is correct, you will see both Red and Green LED blink rapidly. If you see solid Red and blinking green, it means polarity need to be reversed and as a result you should swap your Pins 1 and 2.
The settings on my HMI and the flowmeters default settings are shown in the attached image. please advise what I have done incorrectly to get no communication. Thank You

Modbus RTU Setup..jpg

Flashing green LEDs means that the Graphite is transmitting something, no red LED flash means it isn't getting an answer. You mention pins 1 and 8, but you don't say that you have also connected the common, Pin 6.
Here is some useful info:
https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/correct-cabling-modbus-rs485

Personally I always start with using my computer to first make a connection to a device, only when I know that is working do I add the complication of the HMI/PLC side of things.

Thanks Bryan,

Should have said that it is a 2 wire device so no Common.
Found the problem was an RJ45 connector that tested fine but didn't make contact in the HMI.

They call it Two Wire, but there is still a COM or GND. Attached is good information from B&B Electronics, I was going to give a link, but their website isn't responding at the moment.