ABB ACH550 halt/limit PID via DI

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not a PLC question but still controls. I have an application with an ABB ACH550 that I will be adding a sensor to the drive and have the drive use PID to control motor speed using the feedback sensor. What I want to be able to do is to program one of the DIs so that when the DI triggers, the PID loop either freezes, or limits.

The actual application is controlling the room pressure to a slight vacuum with an exhaust fan. When a door opens, I don't want the fan to run away to full speed since this can cause the door to slam closed and I don't need anyone getting their hand smashed. So door switches will be used to hopefully trigger the VFD to either freeze the output or limit the output speed.

Anyone have thoughts?

The manual for that lists some built in macros, including a couple that have dual setpoints, with the setpoint determined by a DI. I am not sure if those a speed setpoints or process setpoints to match a value from a transducer

Thanks I will look into that. Another option maybe to just have the DI set to preset speed and make that preset speed slow. Or I may just use the doors to interuppt the permissive so that the drive can't run without the doors closed.....