L81E Processor T01:C61 Fault

sanger

Any idea why a MSG instruction (see attached screen capture) would cause an L81E Processor to crash hard with a T01:C61 Fault? After the fault the loaded program is completely erased. The program runs normally until the first execution of the MSG instruction. Firmware is 30.011. The N22 tag is a INT[74] array.

Crash.png

On the 1756-L8x family controllers, the Ethernet object is considered to be in the same slot as the controller, unlike all the prior families of ControlLogix where they were a separate module. So the "Backplane, Slot" hop is not necessary, just the "2, [IP]" to go out the network port to the PLC/SLC/MicroLogix.

T01:C61 means "Task 1, Code 61", which is basically "the whole thing went pear-shaped so we cleared the user memory".

My first try would be to delete the MSG control tag, create a new one with a new name, and re-download.

On the 1756-L8x family controllers, the Ethernet object is considered to be in the same slot as the controller, unlike all the prior families of ControlLogix where they were a separate module. So the "Backplane, Slot" hop is not necessary, just the "2, [IP]" to go out the network port to the PLC/SLC/MicroLogix.

T01:C61 means "Task 1, Code 61", which is basically "the whole thing went pear-shaped so we cleared the user memory".

My first try would be to delete the MSG control tag, create a new one with a new name, and re-download.

Rockwell just got back to me. The fault occurs when a SLC Typed Read/Write message accidentally has the 'Connected' check box checked. 'Connected' is normally grayed out for SLC Typed Read/Write but it's possible to accidentally set it if the message type is initially set to something else then changed to SLC.

Pretty drastic result for an inadvertent check-box setting thought. Glad this happened on the bench and not on a production line.

Pretty drastic result for an inadvertent check-box setting thought. Glad this happened on the bench and not on a production line.

Wow, you are not kidding. If someone told me that a message caused their controller to cr4p the bed, I would have been tempted to call them a liar.

sanger said:
Any idea why a MSG instruction (see attached screen capture) would cause an L81E Processor to crash hard with a T01:C61 Fault? After the fault the loaded program is completely erased. The program runs normally until the first execution of the MSG instruction. Firmware is 30.011...

Just to officially confirm this...

775825 - Connected Cached MSG results in a Major Non-Recoverable Fault (MNRF) on 5580 and 5380 Controllers
Access Level: Everyone

Note that the issue is specific to Studio 5000 v28, 29 and v30 and their equivalent processor firmware revisions. The 5x80 models were introduced at v28 and obviously so too was this anomaly. At v31 it has been corrected.

Regards,
George

Hey guys, sorry to reply to an old thread, but today we just had a L81ES crapped on us. It did however gave a timeout connection #0203 fault. Nothing was able to connect to it, but we were able to ping the card. I was editing some code (no MSG was involved), and suddenly lost communication to the PLC. As well as communication from HMI to the PLC. After an hour of trying different stuff, we decided to cycle power to it; which after it booted up, gave us the T01:c61 fault. Any idea on this one?

Thanks,
Derick

T01: C61

Hi 2023, controller 1756-l82E revision 32.014 and the fault T01: C61 still happening.

This morning I was a lucky guy, we just cleared the fault, loaded the program and changed the processor to run mode.

Our machines are KHS (I trust the Germans didn't make mistakes in the code, I was working before for KHS Mexico and Germany, so I trust).

A Chicken Guy in my currently job told to me about an internal battery, but our machines have UPS and are basically brand new just 2 years operation, not sure about batteries I need investigate about it.

If you Guys have more information about the problem I will really appreciate if you share whit me.

Thanks.

Best Regards, Paul.

1756-l82E revision 32.014 and the fault T01_C61.png

Great fun. Just started up an L83e today. Changed the IP via BootDP, flashed the firmware to 35.11 ... Rebooted... It's throwing the error. T:01 c61 major fault. Haven't even added a line of code yet or even placed it in run mode. In fact, haven't even finished scanning the modules. I'll get back to you all to see what I discover.

Found the solution

I've also just had this same issue.
-To start I have had my machine up-and-runnig for several weeks with no issue at all

-Then I've made several changes in my safety program (while being offline)

-Then I downloaded the program, after the download the PLC was still in STOP mode and no fault occoured --> then I set the PLC to REM RUN and the major fault T01:C61 occoured.

-So now I deleted the last change I've made in the safety program (adding a ROUT function) also deleted the ROUT memory in the taglist

-Go online clear major fault download and SET plc to RUN and it worked just fine....

We have had now 3 of these faults, all on processors that were just running at the time, most without MSG instructions (2 / 3).

All of them however are connected to an inhouse software using Ingear drivers to talk to the PLC.

Working with Techconnect on it, but no resolution as of yet. Latest one happened this weekend...