Using CLV630 sick scanner with a micro850

Fraser

I have a CLV630 scanner successfully communicating with a Micro850 controller (over Ethernet/IP) but I don't know how to convert my scan information into a useful PLC instruction.

The CLV630 has been set up as a Generic Device in the Micro850. I can see the CLV630 listed in the Controller Variables but I can't figure out how to retrieve the barcode information (scan results) so I can use it for a PLC instruction.

I have some PLC experience but mostly for basic control circuits. I've never incorporated a barcode scanner into ladder logic before and I'm finding it to be a steep learning curve.

To give a brief overview of this project, I'm trying to use a barcode scanner to divert boxes into one of two divert lanes.

Any help solving this issue or recommending some resources that could help me better understand how to use bar code scanners with PLC's would be much appreciated.