Stratix and unicast

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community.

I assume that your controllers that cannot be configured for Unicast EtherNet/IP cyclic data connections are fairly old. Unicast produced/consumed tags, for example, were introduced with v16 firmware about 10 years ago.

But when you say they cannot communicate "with" the Stratix switch, exactly what do you mean ?

Do you mean that you're trying to create a Cyclic CIP connection for diagnostic data collection from the switch ?

Or do you mean that when that Stratix switch is part of the network infrastructure, the multicast connections that you need those controllers to run do not work with its specific configuration ?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community.

I assume that your controllers that cannot be configured for Unicast EtherNet/IP cyclic data connections are fairly old. Unicast produced/consumed tags, for example, were introduced with v16 firmware about 10 years ago.

But when you say they cannot communicate "with" the Stratix switch, exactly what do you mean ?

Do you mean that you're trying to create a Cyclic CIP connection for diagnostic data collection from the switch ?

Or do you mean that when that Stratix switch is part of the network infrastructure, the multicast connections that you need those controllers to run do not work with its specific configuration ?

Exactly what your last sentence said Stratix switch is part of the network infrastructure, the multicast connections the controllers are working on do not work with its specific configuration

> Stratix switch is part of the network infrastructure, the multicast connections the controllers are working on do not work with its specific configuration

I am confident that when properly configured, all switches in the Stratix family support multicast communications.

But managed switches can be complex. There could be VLANs or filters or misconfigured IGMP Snooping that are preventing the multicast from working properly.

The Stratix 5700 is a complex switch, but features like the "Smart Port" assignments, the "Express Setup" feature, and the Quick Start document can help you get it working with ControlLogix without having to be a network expert.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs040_-en-e.pdf

I have a few PLC's that will not use unicast, and they will not communicate with the Stratix 5700 anyway around that.
Why do you say that the "PLC will not use unicast"? Whether a device supports unicast or not is described in the device's EDS (electronic data sheet). The configuration of the PLC (scanner) is done based on the adapters' (field devices) EDS files. I have never seen device that support multicast but does not support unicast. Of course it does not mean that there are not multicast only devices, there could be.
Do you mean you cannot change the configuration of the PLCs and you are stuck with multicast IO connections? In that case, you need to follow Ken's advice and correctly configure the Stratix.
If you had access to the PLC configurations, the easy solution would be to use unicast only, if you are not using input-only or listen-only redundant scanners. Incorrect IGMP Snooping settings would not cause issues in such settings.