Micro820 Failed Downloads lead to a bricked unit

arpus4KM

Lifetime Supporting Member
So this would be the second time this has happened while a co-worker is developing a project on these. the first time we thought it was just an off chance that it died, but now it's starting to look like a consistent problem with these.

apparently this has happened while doing a download, at some point the download just fails and says it couldn't finish the download and there was a problem (he didn't screenshot the error unfortunately....). After this only the Enet and SD lights remain on, but they are on permanently, no blinking or anything. Run light never comes on, and if you wait a few minutes the controller faults out to the solid red fault light.

Removing power and starting back up. the top four of the six lights will flash in a powerup sequence and then it goes back to a solid Enet and SD light.

Notes on the symptoms.

Enet light is on regardless of there being an ethernet connection in it.
SD light is on regardless of the presence of a card in the slot.

If you power up the unit with an SD card in it, it will flash the SD light like it's attempting to read it, but all attempts to use the SD card to change the IP, revert firmware, put it in Program mode, etc, all fail. Nothing happens after the few flashes of the SD. Multiple SD cards have been tried, all are known good and class 10 Fat 16/32 formatted to match the 820.

Ethernet won't show up at all anymore, it doesn't show up on dhcp or bootp either. there is basically a constant startup activity on the ethernet, even while pinging the IP it was set to before the incidents. both orange and green LED for the ethernet remain on solid the entire time save for one flash on startup.

Attempted to connect to it through the serial comms and that won't show up either, it's likely stuck in some kind of boot sequence.

The lack of physical reset button, run/program switch, or other physical switches and accesibilities that normally help you restore a dead or faulted controller are a huge problem with these things. they make it pretty much impossible to do any troubleshooting other than cross your fingers and hope it does what it's supposed to behind the veil of secrecy within the ports that you can't even verify are operating right. o_O

What is the PLC model? What do you have on the SD?

Not sure if you tried but I would load the SD with the firmware and program, let it re-flash and loaded the program from the SD, then try and go on line.

I was going to point you to this thread but noticed you had posted in it (probably due to the first time it happened). Alas I have no further insight; I would suggest those attempting to help review that thread.

I understand there are things that will always go wrong, but please let me make this statement.

I have 100's (probably somewhere around 600 hundred) of these units (820/850) out in the Oil patch. I have been working on these units for about 12 years, I have only had 1 unit fail, I have had a few mishaps that I thought I "Bricked" the unit, but after I setup a reprogram IP from SD card routine the unit was able to be reloaded with new firmware/software.

We use these Plc's as PID controller for our Injection pumps controlling 100-300 hp motors with a pressure of 3000 Psi, 24/7/365. All are hooked into our Ignition Scada using Mqtt for real time Tag read/writes.

I hear a lot of people on this forum "Trash" the Micro800 series Plc, but to me it has been a life saver, cost efficient, more than enough power for almost all or needs.

I love working with these units and I have no problem with CCW software.

As always this is my opinion only.

What is the PLC model? What do you have on the SD?

Not sure if you tried but I would load the SD with the firmware and program, let it re-flash and loaded the program from the SD, then try and go on line.

2080-LC20-QWB/C

So, I've attempted to set the firmware twice on it, and it will do the same thing where the SD light flashes a few times and then nothing else happens.

as for loading the program with the SD, I figured I would try to load a blank program with the SD once I find the note on what the commands are specifically for the configmefirst file.

2080-LC20-QWB/C

So, I've attempted to set the firmware twice on it, and it will do the same thing where the SD light flashes a few times and then nothing else happens.

as for loading the program with the SD, I figured I would try to load a blank program with the SD once I find the note on what the commands are specifically for the configmefirst file.

I tried that before and not much luck, I have a sample that I can send you with everything on the SD, I think I have a 20QWB but I know I have the 20QBB (we switched) if its not setup just perfect the card will not read and your positive the SD you have is the one they recommend? the reason I ask is that is what they do when its the wrong SD and the wrong one will not work... been there done that

Send me an email and I can send you the file (tomorrow)

[email protected]

so the recommended from what I see can be a class 6 or class 10 SD .

This is an ONN Brand 16GB Micro SDHC class 10 U1 card.... its been formatted to the default Fat32 and only has a single partition.... hopefully that is enough! talk about a headache when you dont even get a confirmation if something is good or bad.

so the recommended from what I see can be a class 6 or class 10 SD .

This is an ONN Brand 16GB Micro SDHC class 10 U1 card.... its been formatted to the default Fat32 and only has a single partition.... hopefully that is enough! talk about a headache when you dont even get a confirmation if something is good or bad.

Maybe too large? I think the ones I sell are 2 GB ?

I just replied to your email, I forgot I wrote this a few months back

https://www.plccable.com/blog/configuration-and-use-of-the-allen-bradley-2080sd2gb-micro-sd-card/

And just incase anyone else is looking this is a link to the one we use with firmware V12 and loads a simple test program to a 20QBB CPU but the way its setup it works

this is the download ----> www.plccables.com/MicroSD.zip

Maybe too large? I think the ones I sell are 2 GB ?

I just replied to your email, I forgot I wrote this a few months back

https://www.plccable.com/blog/configuration-and-use-of-the-allen-bradley-2080sd2gb-micro-sd-card/

And just incase anyone else is looking this is a link to the one we use with firmware V12 and loads a simple test program to a 20QBB CPU but the way its setup it works

this is the download ----> www.plccables.com/MicroSD.zip

yeah had replied with the same thought about the size. although I found this just now

Micro820 controllers support industrial grade microSD cards through
an embedded microSD card slot. It supports Class 6 and 10 SDSC and
SDHC microSD cards, with FAT32/16 formats, 32 GB maximum size.
Industrial grade cards such as Swissbit S-200u/S300u are
recommended. The microSD card file system supports only one
file partition.
Micro820 controllers do not support Class 4 microSD cards.

so 32gb is the max.

So, tested the file given. I used the firmware for the QWB I have that I loaded using the SD card utility in CCW to make the firmware folder. and then changed the file name in the config text to match the firmware for the QWB.

Same result. Pretty sure this one is just gone, it will attempt to read the SD and then nothing.

The big takeaway for this is that the SD light never turns off, whether it has a card in it or not, that is not normal operation.

So I made a video, this is just a normal boot up without an SD or program, the second part is after I inserted the SD card and rebooted it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqKO-xayE6M

I agree, except this unit with the problem stays at the enet and SD light on. And those remain on, it never moves on to a blinking run light.

When using the firmware and program SD, it will blink the sena few times, then stay with the SD and enet light on. Run never comes on or blinks.

I'll make and short video to upload today if I don't get called out to some catastrophe somewhere.

IanM8040 said:
apparently this has happened while doing a download, at some point the download just fails and says it couldn't finish the download

With the first issue... I know you said it was being downloaded but was it the firmware or the program? if firmware did it get interrupted?

If you find its a brick send it to me before you trash it, I would like to see if there is a way to bring it back to life