Siemens S7: How do the IO modules talk to CPU?

Mas01

Apologies for the basic question (thus far I've only worked on Mitsubishi Q PLCs). I've been given this S7-1200 PLC to get some familiarity...

1. If I were to add another card/module (e.g. an 8-way analogue input module), how does it talk to the PLC? I ask because the Mitsubishi PLC has a special backplane rail with pins/sockets - when you insert the module , the pins connect and the new card talks to the PLC....in the photo the Din rail is just bare metal. How will a new S7 module communicate with the CPU?

2. Presumably, the ladder logic is written to the PLC's CPU via the ethernet port circled right?

Thanks in advance!

S7.jpg

Last edited:
1, the card would sit to the right of the processor. There's a port there (if the processor accepts expansion cards) which will allow the backplane bus to communicate. There's a sliding button on the card itself which actions the ocnnection, I believe.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1453610/Siemens-S7-1200.html?page=60

2. Yes.

Thanks - this is what threw me - the CPU I've got does not support expansion...there's no sliding cover thingy , like in the manual you linked to.

If its a S7-1211 there is no expansion port on the right of the PLC, only expansion you can have is the small SB expansions that plug into the cover that has the sticker in your photo.

For example there is the SB1223 with 2 digital outputs, but there is also an SB with an analog input, but you wont be able to put 8 analog inputs in that PLC, unless you use remote PROFINET IO.