FT View ver 12

Anmols80163

Trying to build a 360 degree animation for compass and needle by importing an image of compass two issues:

1. Compass(With dir. and angle)- Found plenty of them but cannot get an image background that match's the display background.(If suggestions comes for image editing I can do it but need directions or guide from you. If there is an already existing object please let me know or if I can import something in with transparency option).

2. Needle 360deg. animation- Can I use another image for it and rotation for animation? I have a data coming in for angle 0 to 360 degrees. But I have never done it so needs to know if their is something I can import from somewhere without spending too much time on it?

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

I would find a good image for the compass. Search images on Google or Bing to find one you like. Preferably without the needle.

Then you can try a tool from Adobe for removing the background.

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/remove-background

You will need to sign up for a free Adobe account to be able to download the result. You can upload your image and then preview the image result to see if it worked or not. If you like it, then you can sign up so you can download it. I use this tool a lot. If you see a checkerboard appearance for the background, that indicates transparency.

Then in FT View use the image editor to draw and animate the needle rotation. Or, if you go to the libraries, there is a Clock library. You can copy the needle they use in the clock face and paste that into your display to use with your compass.

OG

Last edited:
I've done something similar on Red Lion G3/CR1000 series and a C-More with their built in gauges but not with an image. It was on a power press application and I wanted to display the press position. The basic gauge objects in the PV+ aren't full circle, so you'd have to do something else. If you find the background image you like, you can probably use a screen object like a line or polyline or something for the needle and play with its rotation animation.

I should have asked first, were you wanting the background image to rotate or the needle? You can't animate rotation of an image. You could stack a bunch of rotated images, though, and control their visibility based on the angle. That will get more and more cumbersome the more resolution you want.

I would find a good image for the compass. Search images on Google or Bing to find one you like. Preferably without the needle.

Then you can try a tool from Adobe for removing the background.

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/remove-background

You will need to sign up for a free Adobe account to be able to download the result. You can upload your image and then preview the image result to see if it worked or not. If you like it, then you can sign up so you can download it. I use this tool a lot. If you see a checkerboard appearance for the background, that indicates transparency.

Then in FT View use the image editor to draw and animate the needle rotation. Or, if you go to the libraries, there is a Clock library. You can copy the needle they use in the clock face and paste that into your display to use with your compass.

OG
That is it. Thanks a million!:geek:

I've done something similar on Red Lion G3/CR1000 series and a C-More with their built in gauges but not with an image. It was on a power press application and I wanted to display the press position. The basic gauge objects in the PV+ aren't full circle, so you'd have to do something else. If you find the background image you like, you can probably use a screen object like a line or polyline or something for the needle and play with its rotation animation.

I should have asked first, were you wanting the background image to rotate or the needle? You can't animate rotation of an image. You could stack a bunch of rotated images, though, and control their visibility based on the angle. That will get more and more cumbersome the more resolution you want.
Thanks for your response. I will be animating the needle. I got one from the existing objects in libraries "Clocks" . Will be using it with the compass image.

Trying to build a 360 degree animation for compass and needle by importing an image of compass two issues:

1. Compass(With dir. and angle)- Found plenty of them but cannot get an image background that match's the display background.(If suggestions comes for image editing I can do it but need directions or guide from you. If there is an already existing object please let me know or if I can import something in with transparency option).

2. Needle 360deg. animation- Can I use another image for it and rotation for animation? I have a data coming in for angle 0 to 360 degrees. But I have never done it so needs to know if their is something I can import from somewhere without spending too much time on it?

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

2. You can certainly make an image rotate based on a variable internally. for instance, to make a fanblade rotate on screen without using visibility I use the animation option "rotation" and set the degrees min/max to 0/360 and the read from tags are from a timer. where min = .DN bit and Max is .PRE value. so the fan makes image makes 1 full rotation for the duration of the timer, which means you can adjust the speed of rotation by changing timer duration.

you could do the same thing to move a compass needle depending on where it needs to point based on what variables would be its 0-360 degree pointing reference.

...You can certainly make an image rotate based on a variable internally...

The gotcha there is that an actual image (JPG, BMP, PNG) cannot use rotation animation. The only animation they support is visibility. You can absolutely animate items that are drawn in FTV. Perhaps that was what you were suggesting.

The needle he is using comes from the Clock Library. All library files are all FTV native images, so they support rotation animation. The Clock needle already has that animation so it just needs to be updated with the tag to be used and the min/max settings.

The trickiest part is probably finding a good compass image that doesn't have a needle.

OG

2. You can certainly make an image rotate based on a variable internally. for instance, to make a fanblade rotate on screen without using visibility I use the animation option "rotation" and set the degrees min/max to 0/360 and the read from tags are from a timer. where min = .DN bit and Max is .PRE value. so the fan makes image makes 1 full rotation for the duration of the timer, which means you can adjust the speed of rotation by changing timer duration.

you could do the same thing to move a compass needle depending on where it needs to point based on what variables would be its 0-360 degree pointing reference.

Interesting. When I tried that with an image object, the only animation option that wasn't grayed out was visibility.

The gotcha there is that an actual image (JPG, BMP, PNG) cannot use rotation animation. The only animation they support is visibility. You can absolutely animate items that are drawn in FTV. Perhaps that was what you were suggesting.

The needle he is using comes from the Clock Library. All library files are all FTV native images, so they support rotation animation. The Clock needle already has that animation so it just needs to be updated with the tag to be used and the min/max settings.

The trickiest part is probably finding a good compass image that doesn't have a needle.

OG

very true, I was using the word Image interchangeably there.

I did see a lot of images that could be snagged online from a google search of "Compass without a needle" and just looking at the image list.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. My findings:

1. If the compass image is with dark background you will be able to get good results with online background remover tools. Here is the tool I used to remove the image background which does not require a login:

https://www.erase.bg/upload

2. Clock needle worked really good and I was even able to test my animation with "system/second" already existing in the expression of rotation animation for needle.

Make sure to find a good resolution image and try different tools if one doesn't work for you.

Cheers

To make transparent images/remove backgrounds, you can also use Paint .NET, its a better paint, that runs locally and uses like 4MB of disk space.

I've been a long time use of Paint Shop Pro, but I haven't tried installing it on Windows 10/11 yet. Even that old version can delete backgrounds. I don't particularly care for it, but Gimp is open-source and has a portable version that can be installed on a flash drive. I haven't tried it for background removal, though.