Modbus rtu setup m221 and modscan64

hadwll

Hi,

I am trying to setup comms between my computers rs232 port and a schneider M221 PLC. (ultimatly with the intention of setting up PLC -> HMI Comms...)

I am using a straight through rs232 female to female cable.

I have configured the baud rate, parity, data bits and stop bits on the PLC, the serial port in windows device manager and the modscan application. Made sure to select RS232.

At the point were I click connect it is not able to connect to the PLC giving "connection failed dialog"

What else should I be looking at?

should I be using a straight through cable?

Which M221 model and which cable?
M221 have RS232 but you need first configure it and it is screw connection or RJ45 depending hardware.

Can you provide some clarification on the cable used and the connections?

It seems the M221 PLC uses an RJ-45 jack for serial communications (either RS485 or RS232, software configured):
https://media.distributordatasoluti...bbe12ae5adf011e7952b3019b1bd5d.pdf#G34.657572

If you have a female to female RS232 cable, does this have a DB9 connector on either end? Are you using a RJ-45 to DB9 adapter? Note that Schneider has two different RJ-45 to DB9 adapters, one for DTE and the other for DCE.

A PC is a DTE devices, so if you're using the DTE adapter (TCSMCN3M4F3C2), you would use a straight through cable. But if you're using the DCE adapter (TCSMCN3M4M3S2), you would use a null modem cable. Here are additional details on DTE vs DCE and null modem cables:
https://www.decisivetactics.com/sup...r-null-modem-vs-straight-through-serial-cable

Which M221 model and which cable?
M221 have RS232 but you need first configure it and it is screw connection or RJ45 depending hardware.

It's a TM221ME16R cpu.

I'm using a cable I hacked together. Thanks for the schneider part numbers. I've ordered the (TCSMCN3M4M3S2) it will be here tomorrow I'll try and report back

Can you provide some clarification on the cable used and the connections?

It seems the M221 PLC uses an RJ-45 jack for serial communications (either RS485 or RS232, software configured):

If you have a female to female RS232 cable, does this have a DB9 connector on either end? Are you using a RJ-45 to DB9 adapter? Note that Schneider has two different RJ-45 to DB9 adapters, one for DTE and the other for DCE.

A PC is a DTE devices, so if you're using the DTE adapter (TCSMCN3M4F3C2), you would use a straight through cable. But if you're using the DCE adapter (TCSMCN3M4M3S2), you would use a null modem cable. Here are additional details on DTE vs DCE and null modem cables:
https://www.decisivetactics.com/sup...r-null-modem-vs-straight-through-serial-cable

Thanks for the reply, let me get the right cables and report back

Cheers.